Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which Slider Miter Saw to buy?

Thanks to all for the feedback.

My son has monitored this thread along with a similar thread elsewhere. After a review with me, he bought the Dewalt 779 and will add the shadow light.

It appears that Dewalt has discontinued the 779 since it is not on their website any longer. The pricing is very attractive now on the 779 and the shadow light is available via parts houses at a very reasonable cost.

BTW, I have an older Milwaukee that has been great but that is irrelevant to this discussion. So thanks again for the input on current offerings.

10” Bosch glide or just the dewalt 10”

But what I really want to know is of that is a Felix the cat dose.

When I was a kid Felix the cat was some of the best lsd you could get. Ah the memories were just all old now..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

When I was a kid Felix the cat was some of the best lsd you could get. Ah the memories were just all old now..
    No, that's just plain ol' Felix.
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 03-25-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Another vote for Bosch. I bought the top of the line dual bevel slider (precursor to the glide) when I did a house remodel in 2006. After that project I didn't use it much, so I sold it to my employer in 2011. New location? A window factory where it's still used daily to cut wood, vinyl extrusion, and aluminum extrusion. They've worked it hard and it just keeps going. They've burned up a couple Dewalts in the same time period.

I'm sold on Bosch. I have their cordless drill/driver, palm router, and plunge router. They all seem to be bullet proof, although it is possible to cut the router cord in half with a 3/8" up spiral bit

A quick repair with a soldering iron and some head shrink and it's back in the game.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

Just sayin'......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I also just bought a DWS779 and the back light kit. Just waiting for them to arrive. Amazon had the saw for $314 through MaxTool, but the price is back up to $349 again. It wont ship until next week because the sold their stock and have 200 more on the way from a warehouse, so I will probably get it around Friday, April 5.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Anyone tried the makita 8 1/2 inch saw? Been thinking about one for job site because of lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post

A quick repair with a soldering iron and some head shrink and it's back in the game.
    I've had some scary accidents with routers but none needed a psychiatrist
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I am spoiled rotten. I have a 20 yr old Makita 10 inch slider...love it except it's on a very heavy so called portable stand. I also have a 8 1/2 inch Elu slider...love it, it's my bench slider. I have a 12 inch Dewalt 780 and it is my best saw..love it..it's on the Dewalt collapsible stand.
    Reason for all this excessive saw stuff is that I quit smoking 33 yrs ago and in an effort to get my wife to also quit I told her if she smokes I get to spend my smoke money on my toys. She still smokes but a lot less. I retired 12 yrs ago and occasionally discover a new item still in the pack hidden in my shop.
    The only thing about the Dewalt 780 that I'm disappointed in is the stand..I believe I should have got the Bosch collapsible stand.
    I bought the 780 from H.D. after I discovered it on sale elsewhere so price matched and got another 10% to make it a good deal.
    Today I bought another tool. Smoke money buys nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Meant Solder and Heat Shrink.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I realize it is a horrors of all horrors idea, but take a hike to your local HF and take a look at their new $400-500 scms. You may be surprised. They have a new higher priced line of power tools targeting small contractors.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    ROTF. Absolutely hysterical.

Kapex owner here. Happy. 36mm hose a huge step up in dust collection, but like every SCMS not perfect dust collection.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan this is exactly what I did. I found the saw to be at least beyond my skill level being new to note any issues. I also added the light kit it's easy to install. The only issue I had was the 90 bevel was just a tick off so I had to set it. Works great for me

Blog Entries
    Check 90 regularly with that saw, I found it not to hold adjustments very well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I found that also Brian. I just toss an angle gauge on the blade. What I did find though is ever since I mounted it on my rigid rolling stand I have not had any issues. I think what knocks it out is using the handle to move it around