Thread: A Building Appears

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I also bumped the jointer from 4" to 6". What a difference!

New Shop (494).jpgNew Shop (495).jpg
    I did that also a few years ago with my Laguna jointer/planer. It made a HUGE difference. Now you have to paint it the color of the Grizzly so it looks part of the machine(says the OCD woodworker).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I did that also a few years ago with my Laguna jointer/planer. It made a HUGE difference. Now you have to paint it the color of the Grizzly so it looks part of the machine(says the OCD woodworker).

Thirded. I went from 4" to 6" on a Grizzly 490X and it's worked out great! Only issue is it seems like the jointer leaks like a seive to begin with, so at some point I might try to plug some of the holes. OTOH, it does fine as long as I turn it on. Not sure what sort of fine dust is produced by a helical head jointer, but I'm guessing it's not as much as a saw.

Blog Entries
    Well, if I am down to caulking door trim and touching up paint I guess this journey is over.

Thanks to everyone that tagged along, gave me ideas (knowingly or unknowingly), and encouragement. Anything that happens from here on will be considered an actual shop activity and will get its own thread if deserving. Thanks again!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

congrats! And I’d offer you need something more ceremonial than door caulk to call it done, no? Regardless, will look forward to seeing the activity in your new space. And thanks for sharing-has been informative and inspiring.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

A project well done! I truly have appreciated this thread as it gave me some things to think about when it comes time for my own new shop building, hopefully within the next year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks all. One last blast. I was mounting the rear speakers and thought to take a couple of shots from that location.

New Shop (513).jpg . New Shop (514).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Congratulations on a well thought out woodworking shop Glenn! Thanks for letting us tag along in the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful shop.

Congrats Glenn! Awesome build. Beautiful job on the planning and execution. Thanks for the detailed documentation of the process.

I have a feeling this will be a long referred to thread.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Very nice shop setup. I think the proper benediction here is "may this place never be this clean again".
    No idea if I will ever build a new shop, but I know it would be fun!

Blog Entries
    I lust after your shop! And I can't believe how much empty wall space you have...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    I lust after your shop! And I can't believe how much empty wall space you have...

Not for long. The wall space was part of the plan since I use so much of it. Ergo, no windows . I finally got one of the lumber racks up. I have a list of things to do and didn't really want to schlep wood just now. I realized that I make trips back and forth to the house (45 feet away) several times a day for coffee, lunch, whatever. I started taking a board back to the shop from one of the stash spots in the garage on my return trips.

So far I'm making progress without taking any additional trips or interrupting my flow ;-)

– Samuel Butler