Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small shaper worth it?

Small shaper worth it?

Someone near me has an older Delta/Rockwell shaper for sale for a very low price. This is the one with the open base under the table, similar to this Grizzly model, but with a 1/2HP motor. I'm wondering if something like this would be worthwile for a hobbiest for making occasional raised panel doors? I already have a good router table with a 2-1/2HP router, but I'm under the impression that a shaper is much more powerful for a given HP rating and that the slower turning cutters work better. Assuming it is in good mechanical condition, is this a worthwhile tool?

Depends on the price I guess Matt.
    Myself, I use a 3hp for door panels.
    1/2 hp would be kind of light for that job, but should handle the rail and stiles ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Depends on the price I guess Matt.
    Myself, I use a 3hp for door panels.
    1/2 hp would be kind of light for that job, but should handle the rail and stiles ok.
    $60 for the shaper and some cutters, assuming its not a misprint. And it looks very clean in the pictures.

I'd snag that one.

I would too,at that price. Mine is a 1-1/2hp. But great part about a shaper is the induction can run all day vs. a router.

Matt,

Awfully good price, if it's in good shape it would be well worth it. I've got a router table and a 1 1/2 Jet shaper. I prefer routing on the shaper because it's heavier, lot less noise, slower, and has a forward/reverse switch.

Robert

I know the price seems good, but I think you are going to trap yourself. If you purchase this you may never get a real shaper. I have a 3hp Shop Fox that I was only going to use for bullnosing stair treads. I just keep finding more uses for it every day and wonder how I got along without one.
    The 1/2 spindle is pretty small and you will be limited to what you can do. If you could swing something bigger I think you would be happier.

Richard

Richard you have a very good point. I can do thing like rails and styles roundovers, etc. with the router table. If it would make life easier doing raised panels, then its probably worth it. Otherwise, its just one more thing in the shop. Believe it or not I'm actually trying to streamline things in my shop by realigning my tool collection to give me efficient, enjoyable ways to do various things and not have 6 tools that each do the same thing.

Maybe think about up grading the motor to a 1hp.
    Bet the spindle size is a 1/2" ?

Yes, it is a 1/2" spindle.

Just another input.

Matt,
    The only thing that I use my 1 1/2 HP shaper for is to make raised panels. The ONLY reason that I do this is that my router table doesn't have an opening large enough for those big, scary "fans" that cut raised panels. One of these days, I am going to "update" my router table and sell the shaper!

Remember though, Matt, I'm just a hobbiest with occassional needs for a shaper. I am easily bored and seldom make more than one of the same thing. Truthfully, it may be that I have a very short attention span!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Most 3/4 bore cutters come with 1/2 bushings. Richard does make a good point. A bigger unit would be better. Mine with 1-1/2hp handles most raised panel cutters just fine.

Sounds like I should just wait for something larger to come along at a great price.

Griz and shop fox 1 1/2 shapers are reasonably priced.
    Though if you could find a 3hp, it would do future stuff, and handle panel bits with ease.

Steve, Can the 3hp units handle panel cutters in a single pass?