Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cyclone selection-- Onieda, Grizzly, or Penn State

cyclone selection-- Onieda, Grizzly, or Penn State

I have come the conclusion that I need to upgrade to a cyclone with 3hp min size. I am looking at Onieda V3000, Grizzly G0441, and Penn State 3.5hp. The cost differences are not that mush with Penn State being lowest.
    I would like to know people's opinions about the pros & cons of these suppliers.
    For some reason I am leaning to Oneida but wonder if Penn State's has the quality and performance of the others.
    Any thoughts guidance on options or things to watch for are appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Don,

The following is a recent thread about an Oneida system. Has a lot of good ideas in it.

I'd recommend Oneida, I installed mine a couple of years ago and really like it.

Good luck with it.

PHM

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tem-3HP-vs-5HP

PS-Where is Cottonport? I remember the town. Is it somewhere between Alexandria and Toledo Bend Lake? Used to make that trip with my dad all the time. He had a fishing camp on that lake.
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 07-31-2012 at 6:50 PM.

I doubt I will be the only one to say this, but at least consider a Clear Vue along with the others. I just went through the shopping and comparison myself and chose a Clear Vue CV1800 over all of the brands you listed. Maximum bang for buck, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    I considered the CV, but preferred an all steel cyclone, so I narrowed my search to the 3 you are looking at. For a number of reasons I went with a 2 hp and have not regretted it. Yet. I ended up going with the Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. I liked the looks, the performance, the HEPA filter, it fit in my basement and the fact that it was made in the USA. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Penn State unit (I had their 1 hp 2 bagger for several years), but some hard questions regarding construction and performance went unanswered, and that soured me on the PS unit.

Hi, I've installed 2 Oneida cyclone's and wouldn't hesitate to purchase anoter.

I presume that you've done a shop layout and calculated your CFM requirements/duct losses?

Regards, Rod.

I have no regrets on my 3HP Grizzly. Oneida has (had?) a "review" of the Grizzly on their site comparing to theirs. Grizzly must have used it to make improvements because all their complaints about it were not true on mine. At that time there was a much bigger price differential. Today I might be more tempted to buy the Oneida since its US made but I also wouldn't hesitate to buy the Grizzly again.

My first DC was a Penn State. Never bought from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Don,

The following is a recent thread about an Oneida system. Has a lot of good ideas in it.

I'd recommend Oneida, I installed mine a couple of years ago and really like it.

Good luck with it.

PHM

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tem-3HP-vs-5HP

PS-Where is Cottonport? I remember the town. Is it somewhere between Alexandria and Toledo Bend Lake? Used to make that trip with my dad all the time. He had a fishing camp on that lake.
    Thanks for the link.
    Cottonport is in Avoyelles Parish, about 40 miles south east of Alexandria. Only 10 miles from Marksville and 70 north of Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parker View Post
    I doubt I will be the only one to say this, but at least consider a Clear Vue along with the others. I just went through the shopping and comparison myself and chose a Clear Vue CV1800 over all of the brands you listed. Maximum bang for buck, IMHO.
    I looked at Clear Vue but they are about $1700 for the upgraded MERV15 filter and no stand or collection bin, but does have 300 sqft filter area. I don't see a significant advantage over Oneida which has a very good reputation, good support help, made in USA, all heay duty metal construction, etc.

I only discussed what equipment I have with sanding dust being my biggest problem. I have a 18" drum sander and a 6x80 horizontal belt sander which is killing my single stage using a Thein separator. With my shop size of 20x30 Oneida says I need a 3hp V3000 cyclone. I have not done a full blown shop design layout as of yet.
    It seems that I am slowly elimenating Penn State for the unknowns even though some people have had success. They are not sigificantly lower in costs and no one is really pushing them.

Don, if sanding dust is your priority your question is more complicated. The Oneida, Griz and PS cyclones- as most hobby cyclones are- are designed to separate larger particles than generated by sanders. T hat lack of efficiency means the filters catch much of the dust. Call a few companies that specialize in cartridge filters and get opinions as to which will clean the easiest and clog more slowly. Cleaning shortens a filter's life and care must be taken. Most commercial sanding operations do not use cartridges but most hobby guys do. The CV cyclone has better fine dust separation due to it's design but I hear your concern with the blower set up. Of the three you listed the Oneida will have the best motor and the DC motor is likely the hardest working one in your shop. Oversize your system as the larger cyclone and larger impeller will compensate somewhat for the reduction in CFM as the filter clogs. If you do much sanding and can engineer it, put a bypass so you can vent directly outside when sanding. Hobby woodworking cyclones are built to a price point and work well with large stuff but are mediocre on their mbest day for fine dust. Talk to Wynn, airhand, and others and make the decision based on more technical filter info than I can give. Dave

filter consideration

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Don, if sanding dust is your priority your question is more complicated. The Oneida, Griz and PS cyclones- as most hobby cyclones are- are designed to separate larger particles than generated by sanders. T hat lack of efficiency means the filters catch much of the dust. Call a few companies that specialize in cartridge filters and get opinions as to which will clean the easiest and clog more slowly. Cleaning shortens a filter's life and care must be taken. Most commercial sanding operations do not use cartridges but most hobby guys do. The CV cyclone has better fine dust separation due to it's design but I hear your concern with the blower set up. Of the three you listed the Oneida will have the best motor and the DC motor is likely the hardest working one in your shop. Oversize your system as the larger cyclone and larger impeller will compensate somewhat for the reduction in CFM as the filter clogs. If you do much sanding and can engineer it, put a bypass so you can vent directly outside when sanding. Hobby woodworking cyclones are built to a price point and work well with large stuff but are mediocre on their mbest day for fine dust. Talk to Wynn, airhand, and others and make the decision based on more technical filter info than I can give. Dave
    I hear what you say and believe that sanding dust is difficult to capture. I will talk with Wynn Filter to get their input. I have been toying with the idea of a bypass to discharge outdoors also. I would hate to do all this and still be at the same point!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Good news and bad news here Don, The bad news is I think you are about to spend about $3K or so, the good news is you are not going to be at the same point dust collection wise.

Talk to the people at Oneida. They are very knowledgeable and helpful about how to collect dust and chips from woodworking machines. It's been my experience and from what I've read the expereince of others that they are not hard sellers. Easy people to deal with.

PHM

Matt
    I don't know how old your system is but I think from reading Grizzly technical bulletin on cyclones they have made some real improvements. Looking at their fan curves the 3hp beat Oneida V3000 but the Super Dust Gorilla is closer to Grizzly. That is if their method of using restrictor plates to induce various SP values is equivalent to the same size in pipe as Oneida touts.
    The Griz 2hp is close to the V3000 -- I don't understand that. I know impellers are to be factored in.

In price the Griz 3hp is higher than Oneida V3000 by about the $255 stand considering stand, storage drum, and shipping. That I don't understand but Griz is about $200 less than the Super Gorilla.

Oneida has been very helpful in talking through the process of selection. Recommends the V3000 for my situation as most economical while performing.

Don, I would not try to compare data from company to company. Not reliable enough. Impeller diameter and design makes the most difference. Depth of blades is also a factor but less than diameter. The three cyclones you mentioned will have close to the same pressure drop but you don't know what resistance the different filters have and more importantly what resistance once they have seasoned with some dust. No magic here, a 15" impeller will outperform a 14" etc and a cyclone with an 8" inlet will test better than one with a 7" inlet. You want the one that works the best with fine dust and no one posts good numbers for that. The three cyclones are now built very similar but none - except possibly CV- are constructed to be as efficient as the commercial units with inlets designed to spread the incoming air around the edge of the cyclone and helical fins to direct the spiral, and cone length to aid in the reversal of air to the outlet. You will improve your life a lot here but again how much will depend on how well you keep the filters maintained. If you do much sanding, budget for a Dylos monitor so you know the air quality of your shop and how the sanding affects it. Dave

Mine is only a few years old and probably has all the improvements.