Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reasons for Festool vs. Fein Dust Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on the OF1010?
    I like my OF1010, too. DC isn't quite as good as with the larger unit and, of course, you're limited to 1/4" and 8mm collets. For smaller tasks, it's a comfortable tool to use for sure. Of the two, I use the OF1400 the most, but that's because the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. When the job calls for 1/4" or 8mm shank, I have no issue pulling out the OF1010 if it's the right tool for the job. If you're only going to buy one...make it the OF1400. It's suited to "almost everything" except swinging "really big" bits in a table...and I'd never put it in a table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The Festool vac is unimpressive, for the cost.

Honestly, I'd try to dissuade you from the Fein, too.

For $99, you can get one of these: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/14-gall...ce-wet-dry-vac
    170CFM, and nearly as quiet as the Festool or Fein (you can have a conversation while it's running).

For another $30, you can add a CleanStream Pro HEPA filter, and for another $20, an auto-start tool trigger. Probably another $30 for a 1.25" diameter hose. For under $200, you've got a HEPA shop vac that moves a ton of air, and you don't need a separate "dust extractor" for the power tools.

I also have a Ridgid setup. One of the newer, quieter 16 gallon vacuums.. this would be the Contractor version with handle, tool pouch and large wheels. Package includes a HEPA filter and muffler. I could not ask for anything more. I did add the Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...597,62621&ap=1 which includes a flexible hose and some attachments. Vac was priced at $129 CDN so all told with hose kit -> $200CDN. Also works extremely well as a shop vac... Very slick and I get compliments and questions about it.

I had this same Rigid setup, same vac, HEPA filter, Auto switch and all. I bought the Fein for my Domino and sander and the difference is unbelievable! No matter what Rigid claims, the Fein has much greater suction and is much quieter. Using my Festool sander, the Rigid always left quite a bit of dust on the wood, but using the fein....nothing. The Fein is worth every penny to me. I still use the Rigid for general shop cleanup, but I wouldn't use it for dust extraction from a tool again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I like my OF1010, too. DC isn't quite as good as with the larger unit and, of course, you're limited to 1/4" and 8mm collets. For smaller tasks, it's a comfortable tool to use for sure. Of the two, I use the OF1400 the most, but that's because the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. When the job calls for 1/4" or 8mm shank, I have no issue pulling out the OF1010 if it's the right tool for the job. If you're only going to buy one...make it the OF1400. It's suited to "almost everything" except swinging "really big" bits in a table...and I'd never put it in a table.
    Jim
    I have the 1400 and the 2200. Given a choice between the two, I would take the 2200, regardless of it's ability to use large diameter bits, without being mounted in a table. I find it balances better in my hands than the 1400. It is such a nice router to use.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The 2200 is a beast and does what it does well. If I'm not mistaken, it has a non-Festool origination, however. I find the OF1400 to be very comfortable to use, but this is always a subjective thing and each of us will likely have different likes and dislikes around how things feel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's a Head 2 Head shootout of almost all the dust extractors aimed at the contractor market. Mirka and the basic wet/dry shopvacs are not included. I'm pretty sure that your basic shopvac can't meet the new OSHA requirements. Mirka undoubtedly can, although their HEPA filter is obscenely expensive, they just aren't on the radar.

http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-h...-head-to-head/
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I think the Mirka vacuum is a rebranded nilfisk

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I think the Mirka vacuum is a rebranded nilfisk
    Actually, I think MOST of the vacs listed above except Festool and Fein are some version of Nilfisk. I think many of them have a combination of features that don't match up exactly with any Nilfisk model so I assume they are being built to the specs of the company that puts their name on the vac.
    The Mirka and Milwaukee are basically a Attix 33. Makita is basically a Attix 50, as was a recent Bosch model but not the Bosch in the test above. Older Bosch and Metabo were made by Starmix, current models made by Nilfisk.

In a manufacturing company, we pretty much settled on Rigid 1450 and replacing them when they died in 2-6 months. With great difficulty, we were able to warranty about 20%. This was more expensive in time wasted than just throwing them away. We used the older Feins in the "cleaner" places, probably because it is hard to subject a nice vac to that abuse. The Feins still work after 8 years but they were in nicer areas than the Rigids. Of course, the new Feins are not even made by the same company that made the old ones. With the new OSHA rules, we will have to go to real HEPA vacs and spend a ton more money. Nilfisk industrial vacs start around $1400 but they should last.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 02-22-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Hello folks! This is my first post here. I am also looking at a dust collector and I’m leaning towards the Festool CT26. I understand from a couple of reviews that the Nilfisk based products do a regular filter clean cycle where the power is boosted for a few seconds. Some amazon reviews mention that this cleaning cycle is not great for sanding applications. The Festool and Fein don't appear to have this issue. Anyone using a Makita or other Nilfisk based machine experience issues with orbital sanders?

10. Before replacing my venerable Ridgid shopvac, I did quite a bit of comparison shopping, and in the end plunked down my hard-earned dollars (about $475 US at the current exchange rate) for a Fein Turbo II HEPA Set. Here's a link to the Rockler site for it: http://www.rockler.com/fein-turbo-ii...RoCaEUQAvD_BwE

DC Intro Photo.jpg

The thing I liked about the package, was that it included not only the hose (which mates perfectly with my Festool machines as well as my Metabo 6" ROS and other hand-held power tools) but the floor sweep and wands, plus a brush. Those extras are included, free... unlike Festool's shop vacs. And of course, it comes with the auto on/off for plugging your tools into. The only option I went for was the heavy-duty extra filter, which sits neatly into the inside of the vac, to keep anything that may get past the Oneida Dust Deputy (and that's hardly anything) and prematurely clog the shopvac's HEPA filter.

Hope this helps.

As you can see in the photo, I made myself a roller base to house both it and the Oneida Dust Deputy, yet enable me to vry quickly lift off the shop vac to take to my garage for cleaning out the cars.

It's a great vac, at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L. Jones View Post
    Festool has updated their vacs. They have strengthened the hose garage and designed a new hose. The new hose is smooth on the outside with no ridges to catch on the edge of tables or boards. No release date for North America has been announced yet.
    You can preorder new vacs or replacement hoses from Tool Nut now, they are listed as 2018 models and ship March 1.

I have been looking into a dust extractor and came across this video. Hopefully it will help someone make a decision.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTFdvp000