Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder fritz and franz?

Question Felder fritz and franz?

I saw this new a accessory from Felder called the “Clamping and Sawing System”. It appears to be a F&F Jig for Felder saws. I’ve been looking for a nice production F&F, ideally out of aluminium. This one looks like high grade ply and well made, and a bit pricy. Anyone used this or have any thoughts?

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Accessories/Tensioning-and-clamping-devices/Clamping-and-saw-system-set.html

Since they have specific variants for the Kappa 550 and XROLL, these are specific to Felder saw specs.

On a side note, Felders accessory parts and e-shop is nice.
    Last edited by derek labian; 11-23-2021 at 4:29 PM.

Check out Ramon Valdez channel on YouTube. I came across a video with him testing out his new F&F Jig made by another Instagram woodworker. I sent and email to the guy and he does make and sell them. He did not have any in stock when I emailed him a week or so ago but he wanted me to message him on instagram - and I did not know how to do that. But check out Ramon's youtube channel and he has a link to it
    Last edited by Ted Diehl; 11-23-2021 at 5:17 PM.

Looks kinda like the RUWI system? https://ruwi.de/en/wood-line/saw-saf...amping-system/

I spend all kinds of crazy money on stuff, so no judgment here, but everybody has their limits, and mine is a $900 Fritz and Franz jig

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Brown View Post
    Looks kinda like the RUWI system? https://ruwi.de/en/wood-line/saw-saf...amping-system/

I spend all kinds of crazy money on stuff, so no judgment here, but everybody has their limits, and mine is a $900 Fritz and Franz jig
    I believe it is the RUWI system. I'm also not going to spend $900 on a Fritz and Franz jig.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Diehl View Post
    Check out Ramon Valdez channel on YouTube. I came across a video with him testing out his new F&F Jig made by another Instagram woodworker. I sent and email to the guy and he does make and sell them. He did not have any in stock when I emailed him a week or so ago but he wanted me to message him on instagram - and I did not know how to do that. But check out Ramon's youtube channel and he has a link to it
    I follow Ramon Valdez on YouTube and Instagram, and now I can't remember which F&F jig he was using. It might have been the one from David Bedrosian (who I also follow on Instagram). David's F&F jig looks nice, and he sells it for $275 plus shipping. At some point I'm going to look into adapting my homemade F&F jig into supporting an adjustable face like David has on his.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Yep, thats the Guy - Bedrosian. You have to contact him on Instagram. If you figure out how to do that let me know - I want his F&F Jig. He gave me his instagram email. I'm not sure I should put his instagram contact stuff here but if you search David Bedrosian you will find his video and see my comment which he responded to with his contact stuff
    Last edited by Ted Diehl; 11-23-2021 at 7:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Diehl View Post
    Yep, thats the Guy - Bedrosian. You have to contact him on Instagram. If you figure out how to do that let me know - I want his F&F Jig
    Well for starters you need an Instagram account. From there you can bring up his account, bedrosianwoodworks. And then on that page will be on option to send him a message.

I’m generally curious … what is it about diy/shop-made Fritz & Frantz jigs that isn’t working, and would necessitate purchasing this?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I built my F & F jig based on this video. It works great and was very inexpensive to build.
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PyFjtSHrE

F & F Slider Jig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    I’m generally curious … what is it about diy/shop-made Fritz & Frantz jigs that isn’t working, and would necessitate purchasing this?

I looked at the RUWI video and can see some pluses and minuses for the system The ability to rotate the jig elements, slide to establish a fresh zero point and integral clamping are cool, but both the RUWI and Felder jigs lack any angle or length settings. My shop-made jig has a scale and flip stop on each element, which are fixed at 90 degrees and can just drop into the table slot. I use mine quite a bit for moderate tapers with no problem. I find it very useful for narrow or short pieces that are difficult or dangerous to manage otherwise.

It is not clear whether both sides of the commercial jigs have to be clamped to the table- if there is some give in the jig facings maybe you can slide the loose jaw forward, compress the plastic edging against the workpiece and clamp the loose jaw to the table, or perhaps one can manipulate the loose jaw so it grips a narrow workpiece without being clamped to the table. I usually have the "fixed" jaw backed up by the crosscut fence and pinch the workpiece between the sandpaper faced jaws manually.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who dropped the coin on one of these things. Seems like a big investment for something that can be quickly made in the shop, but maybe I am missing something.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-24-2021 at 7:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    The Felder link you posted is the complete Ruwi system. Ruwi also makes a less complete version that is less expensive, and I have this system. It was imported by a Martin dealer and a bunch of Felder and Martin owners purchased a set. Martin now imports it as does Felder. You can also purchase it from Sautershop in Germany, although the shipping fees are high if it is deemed to be a bulky item (and the plate to store it may get you there): https://www.sautershop.com/safety-sy...aws-ru-27300-4

The reason it is specific to the model of saw is that the clamp and bar on the back element (Franz?) are milled/fitted to the channel in your slider.

It is a quality product and works quite well. It does not have flip stops like those used by a lot of folk who have made their own, but instead presumes you will use your rip fence as a bump stop if needed.

Mike

Ah I'm skill-challenged and appreciate good workmanship and thats why I'd buy the F&F Jig.

I'm pretty sure ours is the Ruwi unit with a few tweaks. Just like the Aigner stuff. I agree that it's expensive but a local customer of mine has one and it's pretty nice. Definitely higher grade than most of us could DIY but obviously, budget options work great too.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    It does not have flip stops like those used by a lot of folk who have made their own, but instead presumes you will use your rip fence as a bump stop if needed.

Mike
    That seems rather limiting to me. I often gauge the cut with the Fritz and Frans stops, trimming off a small amount from a narrow piece. Also, the stops are quite useful for cutting accurately dimensioned tapers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    That seems rather limiting to me. I often gauge the cut with the Fritz and Frans stops, trimming off a small amount from a narrow piece. Also, the stops are quite useful for cutting accurately dimensioned tapers.
    There are a number of methods of work. I believe the bump stop approach is the manner that Europeans work. You can still accurately dimension tapers with a bump stop and the Ruwi F&F.