Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on minor repair (?) to my drill press

Considering the age of the machine, it might be time to consider the Nova Voyager. Very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Looked at mine (same type) Run table as far up as you can, clamp table in place. Loosen top ring, with table clamped, slide ring up, then crank rack up enough to clear bottom ring. Only takes a quarter inch, and you have about 3" to work with. Bend rack outward so as to create a slight inward bow. Crank rack back down into bottom ring. I would hold bottom of rack in place with a hose clamp, or zip tie. FYI, my bottom ring is the base that column fits into. Because rack teeth don't extend to either end, you can't remove rack without pulling head off. On top side of casting near handle, you have an oil port. Looks like a steel ball sticking up through casting. Press down with oil can spout and give it a shot of oil.
    Bruce,
    Lifting the table support and bending the rack back into position in place on the column is a great idea. However, my column collar is about 1/2" from the head assembly but that's enough room to be able to do what you're describing. I will check for the oil port you're describing. Any chance this is to lubricate the spindle and quill?

All, I came down sick as a dog yesterday. Not a good time to come down with a bug. Good news is that beyond hot flashes I have no Covid-19 symptoms. Hoping I'll be able to get out in the shop in a few days. I will certainly update the thread when I do.

Thanks to all again!

Get well quickly! Don't worry, DP isn't going anywhere soon. It will be there when you feel better. Oil port only lubes the shaft of handle for rack. Bruce

Well, I was definitely feeling better today. Spent about 4 hours piddlin' in the shop. I was able to clean up the column a bit better and put some paste wax on it. More importantly, I bent the rack back a bit, lubricated it and put it back in place without having to remove the head assembly. It's working fine. The lower back side of the rack is proud of the column by about 1/2". In the couple of decades I've had the drill press I've never used the table rotated so I plan to pick up a large hose clamp and put it on down there just to ensure it doesn't bend again. It does raise and lower easily now. Lesson learned. Sorry but I didn't take any pics. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions!

PS I can clearly understand and appreciate the table tilting but what's the main reason you'd want to rotate the table? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Well, I was definitely feeling better today. Spent about 4 hours piddlin' in the shop. I was able to clean up the column a bit better and put some paste wax on it. More importantly, I bent the rack back a bit, lubricated it and put it back in place without having to remove the head assembly. It's working fine. The lower back side of the rack is proud of the column by about 1/2". In the couple of decades I've had the drill press I've never used the table rotated so I plan to pick up a large hose clamp and put it on down there just to ensure it doesn't bend again. It does raise and lower easily now. Lesson learned. Sorry but I didn't take any pics. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions!

PS I can clearly understand and appreciate the table tilting but what's the main reason you'd want to rotate the table? Thanks!
    I've rotated tables more for metal working. Sometimes it's simply more convenient when your work is in a vice that's affixed to the table.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've rotated tables more for metal working. Sometimes it's simply more convenient when your work is in a vice that's affixed to the table.
    Mike, of course! I've used it a couple of times for drilling metal and have a couple of drill press vises. Just never had a need to rotate the table. Still not 100%. Thanks for helping me connect the dots. :0)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Mike, of course! I've used it a couple of times for drilling metal and have a couple of drill press vises. Just never had a need to rotate the table. Still not 100%. Thanks for helping me connect the dots. :0)

Mike

II rotate table and set it vertical when end drilling something long, like a table leg.