Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP Laser - keep or dump?

Rich, your comment about JetDirects and Netware reminds me..

JetDirect cards were notorious for issues at the data link layer, those issues were usually solved with JetDirect firmware upgrades.. Wonder what firm level version your card has vs. the latest version..

That new printer is sounding pretty good..

I gave up on the network interface in my Xerox printer and just hooked it up to USB. The IP address would change every time there was a power outage or the router was reset so I wouldn't be able to print until I changed the IP for the printer on my PC.

I realize USB doesn't work so great if you have multiple PCs that need to print.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I gave up on the network interface in my Xerox printer and just hooked it up to USB. The IP address would change every time there was a power outage or the router was reset so I wouldn't be able to print until I changed the IP for the printer on my PC.

I realize USB doesn't work so great if you have multiple PCs that need to print.
    Is your printer set to DHCP or do you have it set to a static ip address.... (should be set to static)
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 01-01-2019 at 9:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Is your printer set to DHCP or do you have it set to a static ip address.... (should be set to static)
    Set to DHCP. Sure, I could have set it to a static IP, but then I would have to go into my router and exclude that IP from the DHCP server. It seemed easier to just use USB for my single PC.

Use it until you have to buy a new toner cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gresham View Post
    I've had 2 devices (HP colorjet and Visio flat screen TV) that behaved that way from day one. Solved it by assigning static IP addresses to them in the router. YMMV.
    That's what I've done with our Printer/MFDs. I had problems with devices not being found when using DHCP, problems went away with static IP addresses. There are wireless print servers but they'd make no economic sense in Rich's case.

Edit: unless you have an old router with USB port and the time & inclination to tinker. In which case

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to...reless-bridge/

This is pretty old (2008) but I suspect the info is still valid. I have a router set up like this, it's handy when a wifi connected device wants to be difficult.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-02-2019 at 5:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Set to DHCP. Sure, I could have set it to a static IP, but then I would have to go into my router and exclude that IP from the DHCP server. It seemed easier to just use USB for my single PC.
    Since you don't have a lot of devices, set a static address far into your DHCP address range. So if your DHCP addressing starts at 102.168.1.0, set your static address at something like 192.168.1.200. The DHCP assigns addresses in sequence and will never get to 200 so you'll never have an IP conflict.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I have an older HP P1102W wireless laser printer.
    It's got an annoying problem.

The wireless worked great for the first two years. Then we switched internet providers and the new internet router had a different ip subnetting scheme.
    192.168.0.X vs 192.168.1.X

Ever since then, the stupid printer has become a nightmare. Every time we try to print something, the printer is off line.

I've tried everything - - including a factory reset & even buying a brand new laptop to do the initial setup of the printer, after a factory reset.

Every time - same old same old - the printer is offline when we try to print to it.

The only solution is to power off the printer, power it back on, use a browser to go to it's 192.168.X.X web interface, clear out any print jobs & recycle the power a second time.

Oh yeah,,,,and deal with my wife who can't understand/accept the fact that printing to the laser printer si a 10 to 15 minute task...

Anyhow - I'm both at my wits end & nearly out of toner.
    A new toner cartridge is going to run about $70 - give or take.

I can get a brand new low end wireless laser for about the same amount - - or less - - and be done with the irritation...no doubt the new one will come with it's own set of irritations, but, at least they will be a change...

I hate to pitch an otherwise good machine, but,,,,it's part of the wold of computers where nothing works and tossing it is the only real fix.
    I would dump it and buy one that works. Its probably a good printer when it works but try putting a dollar value on your frustration level.

9. If you're printing 8000 pages a year, get and Epson ink jet, no cartridges. We've use on in our business, 2 years and ink well still over half full.

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY BRINKMAN View Post
    If you're printing 8000 pages a year, get and Epson ink jet, no cartridges. We've use on in our business, 2 years and ink well still over half full.
    What model is this

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Since you don't have a lot of devices, set a static address far into your DHCP address range. So if your DHCP addressing starts at 102.168.1.0, set your static address at something like 192.168.1.200. The DHCP assigns addresses in sequence and will never get to 200 so you'll never have an IP conflict.

Mike
    Some routers will let you specify a starting and ending DHCP range.