Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROS 2 are way better than one

ROS 2 are way better than one

Was visiting my brother a year ago and he asked me to refinish a tabletop. All my stuff was 500 miles away so off to the store I went. Came home with a second ROS, this one variable speed.

That project went well but the big bonus has been in my shop. I now keep 60 grit on the older sander and 320 on the variable speed one. The convenience is amazing!

My method includes sanding at most steps in a project, starting with milling. I now grab the 320 sander to see what it will not remove, switch to coarse then back to fine. My work is faster, more fun and better.

You jump from 60 grit straight to 320, that is a mighty big jump in grits. I personally would never to do that. In fact I don't go below 100 grit to start except under some serious problems and work my way to 180 and on end grain 220. 320 is a grit I reserve for between coats of finish.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Are you going from 60g to 320g in your finishing sequence?

ROS’s seem to find their way home with me. I have 4 I think.

I have 4 sanders. Typically start with the one with 100 grit, switch to 120, switch to 150, switch to 180. I then change three of the sanders to 220,320 and 400. workds well for me and have to do a minimum of changes.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5. Same idea in a welding shop. You'll see benches with 4-5 or more grinders. Easier to just pick up a different grinder, than to stop and remove a cut-off disc and replace with a wire wheel for example.

Same idea works with routers. It's a lot easier to unplug and plug in a cord set than to change a bit.

I'm finding the jump from 60 to 320 works fine on softer woods like Mahogany and Pine. I do quite a bit of shaping with 60 and 320 goes thru the 60 scratches easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I'm finding the jump from 60 to 320 works fine on softer woods like Mahogany and Pine. I do quite a bit of shaping with 60 and 320 goes thru the 60 scratches easily.
    Wouldn't sanding be so much easier if that were true! Sadly, you could spend the rest of your life getting 60 scratches out with 320.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Wouldn't sanding be so much easier if that were true! Sadly, you could spend the rest of your life getting 60 scratches out with 320.
    Obviously, it works good enough for the OP. No reason for him to lie about something like this.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Obviously, it works good enough for the OP. No reason for him to lie about something like this.
    Try it; let us know how it works.
    I don't think he is lying; I think his definition of "well sanded" is different than mine.

I guess it all depends on what kind of finish you’re going for. I go from 60 to 320 all the time, I just also go through 100, 150, and 220 before I get to 320.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I guess it all depends on what kind of finish you’re going for. I go from 60 to 320 all the time, I just also go through 100, 150, and 220 before I get to 320.
    Lol that’s funny.

I only hit 220 though...

I’ll go higher with finish if needed but only if needed.

I usually stop at 220 as well, just making a funny!

I always thought having various sanders with various grits was standard procedure in a woodworking shop.

sanders - 1.jpg

sanders - 2.jpg

sanders - 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vaughan View Post
    I always thought having various sanders with various grits was standard procedure in a woodworking shop.

sanders - 1.jpg

sanders - 2.jpg

sanders - 3.jpg
    Challenge excepted!

Only takes a few seconds to swap paper. Never thought about having multiples of Sanders. Now routers on the other hand...