Thread: CorelDraw question

CorelDraw question

I am using CorelDrawX4 to create and send files to a laser engraver.
    In Corel, I have my x-y (0-0) to be at the upper left corner of my page.
    I select my artwork/object, then go to the OBJECTS POSITION (in the toolbar, in the upper left part of the screen).
    I type in 0 (zero) for the x position and 0 (zero) for the y position and hit ENTER.
    But the "center" of my object always goes to the 0-0 position, leaving half of it outside the page.
    Is there a way to have the "upper left corner" of my object ALWAYS go to the 0-0 position (upper left corner)?
    Thanks in advance for any and all info on this.
    John H.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't I wish. Corel's lack of assignable anchor points for objects annoys me to no end.

I could even live with it if the anchor point was the centroid of the object, but it's actually the center of the bounding box, which means it isn't even fixed relative to the object if the object is rotated.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 10-29-2009 at 6:31 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Right click in the ruler area, ruler set up, put in your value-vert/horiz.
    Ruler area is on right side of drawing area (has numbers) Don't mean to seem like I'm belittling you, just not good at instructing

Bruce

From CorelDraw X4 Help:

Positioning objects To position an object by changing the anchor point

Select an object.

Click Window Dockers Transformations Position.

Disable the Relative position check box in the Transformations docker.

Type values in the following boxes:

H — lets you specify a value for the position of an object along the horizontal axis

V — lets you specify a value for the position of an object along the vertical axis

Enable the check box that corresponds to the anchor point that you want to set.

Click Apply.

My CorelDraw is set up for a 12x24 page so to put the top left corner of my object in the upper left corner my transformation coordinates are 0,12
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Eide; 10-29-2009 at 6:37 PM. Reason: wrong coordinates
    Steve Eide
    Versalaser 300 30 watt; Corel Draw X4; PhotoGrav 3

Yes, but that's not persistent: the anchor reverts back to the "center" when you're done.

There are a bunch of kludgy workarounds, but that's exactly what they are: workarounds.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks Lee and Steve for your input.
    I have been using EngraveLab and am spoiled with this function within it. And, I've been told to move up to CorelDraw for more bells and whistles. I am learning that each software has its own great and poor functions over others.
    I also put these questions into Corel, directly. Two people over there said they will bring this up at their ongoing meetings with the software engineers.
    Maybe a little ray of hope.
    Thanks again.
    John H.

I certainly hope you have better luck than I've had with them (corel tech)
    Bill Gates have anything to do with them?
    ULS V460 Photograv Corel4 Compucarve

2311 Loveless Street, Guntersville, AL 35976
    I have a macro that positions it for me: not at 0,0, but it could be). An alternative is:

Draw a box or rectangle with the upper-left corner at 0,0. Put it on a non-printing, but selectable layer. Save it as a template and it will always be there.

Select your text and then, while holding down the SHIFT key, select the box (order is critical).

Hit "T" and "L" (without the quotes, for TOP and LEFT). Your text will go to the top left of the box.

Not sure what I do differently......but whenever I use the position 0,0 it goes directly up to the left hand corner like you want it.......my stuff never straddles the line.........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I'd never even considered doing it that way!
    I always use "Align and Distribute" to top left edge of page. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    I'd never even considered doing it that way!
    I always use "Align and Distribute" to top left edge of page. Works every time.
    Me too. Align and Distribute works great. While I am here, I'll throw out a handy shortcut I use often. To bring an object to the center of the page, simply hit the "P" key. Handy if your wanting to align centers of two objects.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

12. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Not sure what I do differently......but whenever I use the position 0,0 it goes directly up to the left hand corner like you want it.......my stuff never straddles the line.........
    Mine works great too!
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

And yet, another way

In your sample, your job is 12x1.8 in size
    In the object position x box type in 12/2 hit enter
    In the y box type -1.8/2 hit enter

I have a 12 x 24 page (my table size) I just use the align command and click top, left, edge of page and press enter.. Done... I keep that command on the tool bar where it's handy
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it