Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Improved Side Clamping Honing Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Rob,
    Will this guide work with vintage tapered plane irons?
    Rafael
    Hi Rafael -

I went in last night and picked up a Veritas tapered blade (2 3/8" wide) - you can see the taper in the shot. No problem seating well in the lower jaw set. (click on image to enlarge)

guidec.jpg

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Matthew -

I'm going to say no. For mortise chisels with tapered sides, registration is uncertain....

Rob
    Matthew, Rob is correct insofar as this guide is not designed for mortice chisels. However, many can work!

There are two provisors. The first is that the back of the blade is flat, and the second depends on the size and shape of the primary bevel.

Some mortice chisels, such as these Japanese Fujikawa mortice chisels (this one is 9mm), are small enough to fit into the cavity of the guide.

None of these chisels will fit into the

They cannot fit into the registration corners for bevel edged chisels, but a flat back can rest and register against the bars, and the side clamps will tighten with enough force (with finger pressure alone) to prevent movement.

The Veritas mortice chisels have deep blades and will not fit inside the body. However, the back is flat, and the clamp will still hold it securely ...

You do need to ensure that the taper of the blade is forward of the guide, otherwise it can cause it to cant (Ray Iles mortice chisel) ...

In addition, the Ray Iles has a rounded back and, while it can be set square, the rounded back does not have the ease of setting up as do those with square backs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you Rob.

I use my eclipse clone for bevel reset and from then on I hone by hand. Almost all my stones are standard 8"x2" bench stones, so they're not quite suitable to hone wide plane irons in a guide and I don't want to get more stones.

I've been grinding and honing my tapered irons by hand and just gauging straightness by eye. This guide is perfect for me since I want to achieve a straighter edge than I have obtained so far.

Rafael

One reason I like having multiple guides is that I typically need to sharpen more than one tool. I can set up 2 chisels and 2 plane blades in the guides, run them all at 1000, then all at 8000, then all at 12000. It seems to go quicker for me like that.

Hi Rafael -

I went in last night and picked up a Veritas tapered blade (2 3/8" wide) - you can see the taper in the shot. No problem seating well in the lower jaw set. (click on image to enlarge)

guidec.jpg

Cheers -

Rob
    Alrighty, Rob, what exactly did you sneak into the picture not quite in focus in the back there?? 🤔😁

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Alrighty, Rob, what exactly did you sneak into the picture not quite in focus in the back there?? 🤔😁
    And here just when you thought Easter was over..... you've gone and found an egg!

Those are pre-production Box Makers planes - right and left...similar to a record 043, but will also do small beading work....

Cool eh?

Cheers -

Rob

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    You’re killing me - i love the record 043.
    Cannot wait to see what the new ones will be.
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

And here just when you thought Easter was over..... you've gone and found an egg!

Those are pre-production Box Makers planes - right and left...similar to a record 043, but will also do small beading work....

Cool eh?

Cheers -

Rob
    Sneaky doesn’t even begin to describe it! Carry on though, I’ll start planning the reorganization of my tool chest now!

Kevin

Robin, is there an online version of the manual? The honing guide comes with a paper version, but the registration jig template must be printed. Unlike the other Veritas products, I don’t see a PDF of the manual on the product page. Thanks!

My LV guide arrived yesterday. This thing rocks. I only have experience with an Eclipse 36 besides the new Lee Valley and it's kind of night and day. The eclipse got me by just fine, so I almost didn't buy one of these, but man am I glad I did. Tightens easily by hand, only one registration board needed for both chisels and planes, and it comes with all the registration measurements ready to be glued to a board. Not totally sure why it offers an upper and lower mounting option, but I'm sure I'll be glad its there one day. Also, thing is build like a tank. Should be around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Robin, is there an online version of the manual? The honing guide comes with a paper version, but the registration jig template must be printed. Unlike the other Veritas products, I don’t see a PDF of the manual on the product page. Thanks!
    Hi Greg -

Good point - I'll follow up with our web folks. Lots of new content for this last catalog, so they may be behind....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    My LV guide arrived yesterday. This thing rocks. I only have experience with an Eclipse 36 besides the new Lee Valley and it's kind of night and day. The eclipse got me by just fine, so I almost didn't buy one of these, but man am I glad I did. Tightens easily by hand, only one registration board needed for both chisels and planes, and it comes with all the registration measurements ready to be glued to a board. Not totally sure why it offers an upper and lower mounting option, but I'm sure I'll be glad its there one day. Also, thing is build like a tank. Should be around for a long time.
    Wow.....maybe we underpriced it....

Glad you like it!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    Not totally sure why it offers an upper and lower mounting option, but I'm sure I'll be glad its there one day.
    Lower for thin plane blades and upper for chisels.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Lower for thin plane blades and upper for chisels.
    I see, thanks for clearing that up. I only tested with a 1 1/4” chisel, but it seemed to fit equally well in both positions, although I did the honing using the upper.

lee Valley just came out with a new side clamping guide. $39.50
    Tom