Thread: interior reserve lumber

interior reserve lumber

I was salvaging some boards and they looked like they might be pressure treated so I checked for markings. I found the words "interior reserve" and the markings in the attached picture. A quick search leads me to think that it is "fire treated". Any idea how toxic this stuff is or what cautions ought to be applied to it's usage?
    firetreated.jpg

A little more googling says that the HT designation probably means that it is "heat treated" to kill pests. I also found reference to an email address (info@wclib.org) that may offer insight into the stamp on the lumber and mailed them the picture.

What continent do you live on and any idea what continent, or even country, this lumber came from?
    Sounds like it may be English speaking not French or German?
    Is this lumber or shipping crates/pallet wood?
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What continent do you live on and any idea what continent, or even country, this lumber came from?
    Sounds like it may be English speaking not French or German?
    Is this lumber or shipping crates/pallet wood?
    Bil lD
    I am in the US. Tallahassee Fl to be exact. The wood looks like maybe SYP or some other pine. The boards are a little over 7" wide and an actual 3/4" thick. They were set out by the curb for the bi-weekly heavy pickup. The WCLB stamp appears to be associated with the West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau. I think they are located in Oregon. I emailed them and am hoping to hear back. If I learn anything useful I'll update here.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 07-02-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    All lumber used for export has to be heat treated to kill any potential pests. It also has to be marked to insure it was in fact heat treated.

Do a google search for HT symbol on pallet wood or a more general search for is pallet wood safe, I think you will find the answers you are looking for. Not not all pallet wood for export is heat treated (HT) , some is chemically treated, the heat treated wood should be safe, the chemically treated not so much. Of course you also have to consider what has been spilled on the pallet which can make an otherwise safe HT pallet dangerous.

They replied with the name of a mill in Idaho using that number. They said they had no idea what "Interior Reserve" meant and that it wasn't a standard designation in the lumber industry. I may or may not bother to pursue this any further since it sounds like it is not chemically treated and is safe to use.

Looks like it is actually Interfor Reserve. https://www.fp-supply.com/products.html
    https://youtu.be/41EA0Fk4-3M

Commodity Lumber

We offer a full line of grades and lengths for SPF, Yellow Pine, Doug Fir, Studs, Hem Fir, and Furring Strips. In addition, our S4S boards consist Clear Poplar, Clear Ponderosa Pine, Clear Radiata Pine, #2 Plum Creek, #3 Ponderosa Pine, finger joint, as well as C & Btr Fir Boards, Flooring, and Ceiling. Interfor Reserve is our featured Board brand and we are exclusive in all our markets with Interfor Reserve.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 07-03-2020 at 12:15 AM.

You are correct. The page listed Interior Reserve and Interfor Reserve and I guess I got thrown off track. I sounds like these boards are not treated other than heat treated.