Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Hand Sanitizer recipe

PSA: Hand Sanitizer recipe

Putting this in a new thread so it doesnt get lost in the 140+ replies to the Coronavirus thread.

You can make your own hand sanitizer, if you cannot get some locally. Here is a link to some "recipes". This was the first of many I found, so choose the one that has ingredients you can find at your local drug stores. LINK

[I don't mean to be alarmist by posting this. Personally, I'm still not convinced this is something to freak out about (yet?). But I've begun taking very basic precautions like washing hands much more frequently, trying to stay off airplanes, etc. So, hand sanitizer came to mind and I couldn't find any locally.]

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Or you can just wash your hand thoroughly with soap & water. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Or you can just wash your hand thoroughly with soap & water. Works great.
    Yup! ......

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Professor Dr. SWMBO made some today, but had to use materials on-hand...even the ingredients are hard to come by now in our area. Shelves are bare.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At Costco today(saturday) no free sample ladies at all. Lines were longer then at the holidays. Of course it was the first rain in 39 days so maybe people forgot how to be outside when the weather is damp?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Putting this in a new thread so it doesnt get lost in the 140+ replies to the Coronavirus thread.

You can make your own hand sanitizer, if you cannot get some locally. Here is a link to some "recipes". This was the first of many I found, so choose the one that has ingredients you can find at your local drug stores. LINK

[I don't mean to be alarmist by posting this. Personally, I'm still not convinced this is something to freak out about (yet?). But I've begun taking very basic precautions like washing hands much more frequently, trying to stay off airplanes, etc. So, hand sanitizer came to mind and I couldn't find any locally.]
    In the Chernobyl area they found that vodka was a really good sanitizer. It didn't have to be expensive. And there's no run on it yet, that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    In the Chernobyl area they found that vodka was a really good sanitizer. It didn't have to be expensive. And there's no run on it yet, that I'm aware of.
    In our area, the only 90% alcohol available is Ever Clear from the ABC store

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    In our area, the only 90% alcohol available is Ever Clear from the ABC store
    You'd have to water it down so much, otherwise it's really harsh. It has no advantage over vodka. But I'm not Russian.

The only disadvantage to vodka is that you might forget to wash your hands as often, but only if you overdo it.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-07-2020 at 8:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    One of my favorite cruise ship remembrances is the funny Philippine crew member standing at the head of the line on the Lido deck (food) with his bottle of sanitizer, calling out "washee washee!" This morning our preacher talked a bit about the COVID-19 virus and hand washing. Wash for 20 seconds, the time it takes to recite the Lord's Prayer. Kills two birds with one stone.
    NOW you tell me...

You'd have to water it down so much, otherwise it's really harsh. It has no advantage over vodka. But I'm not Russian.

The only disadvantage to vodka is that you might forget to wash your hands as often, but only if you overdo it.
    WHO recommends at least 60% alcohol for hand sanitizer. That's 120 proof vodka, which is available but not common.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

A wise man is Mr. Baranek, but I only steal designs from the best.

IMG_4870.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    A wise man is Mr. Baranek, but I only steal designs from the best.
    Wow, those are some serious speakers! The cement blocks are a nice touch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Wow, those are some serious speakers! The cement blocks are a nice touch too.
    Cement blocks make _awesome_ speaker stands, seriously. My wife, OTOH, _loathes_ them, so structures filled with sand had to suffice in my case.

Those amps have a good look. What are they?

I don't know if I could live with my turntable on a lower shelf. This should be a future project, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    One of my favorite cruise ship remembrances is the funny Philippine crew member standing at the head of the line on the Lido deck (food) with his bottle of sanitizer, calling out "washee washee!" This morning our preacher talked a bit about the COVID-19 virus and hand washing. Wash for 20 seconds, the time it takes to recite the Lord's Prayer. Kills two birds with one stone.
    You must have cruised Norwegian. We were on the Epic in December of '13.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Cement blocks make _awesome_ speaker stands, seriously. My wife, OTOH, _loathes_ them, so structures filled with sand had to suffice in my case.

Those amps have a good look. What are they?

I don't know if I could live with my turntable on a lower shelf. This should be a future project, no?
    The turntable you see is a dumpster save I use with a 1 HP Shop-Vac to wet clean and vacuum all newly acquired LPs.

The amps are significantly updated versions of the venerable Mullard 5-20 circuit from a diyaudio.com project. Solid state rectifier and cleaner, more powerful power supply, EF-86 input tube run in triode mode and KT-88 output tubes instead of the EL-34s Mullard developed to power the original. 60 Watts per mono block.

The turntable is most assuredly up where my creaking body can get at it and isolated from all but airborne vibration. Judging by the interest in this thread we may all wish we were likewise isolated.

IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4867.jpg