Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I learned a lesson from EBay... 100w fiber

Well at least their excuses can be amusing!

The wife and I had a good laugh when they sent that “threat” of loosing my warranty for taking action on them for trying to scam me.

Honestly, had it been a 50w unit, I’d just leave well enough alone but from what I’ve deduced by reading the amp draw, this unit is more than likely a 20w which is just annoying.

After starting the first round of messages through PayPal, they responded with “perhaps you don’t know how to operate, please contact technician”
    I wanted to reply with something snarky but I’ve held my fingers and decided to not give them the pleasure.
    So, with that, I elevated my PayPal claim today with all the evidence they need. Scraped off tag, amp draw vs listed power consumption, endless emails.

It’s a goat rope for sure but at the end of the day, it’s not like there wasn’t a million warning signs and people warning against it.

Chalk one up to an expensive (if not time consuming) lesson learned.

In the meantime I’m having fun messing with the unit. It will get the job done for the time being, just a lot slower than I want.

First things first. Do a return "under not as described." You have 30 days to do so. When I had a problem with with a laser that is what I did. The seller had to pay return shipping!
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Yep, that’s exactly where I am at right now. After being told I don’t know how to operate the machine, I just knew it would be endless excuses so I elevated the dispute to have PayPal step in.

If you decide to open the unit up, write somewhere inside "Hey I got shipped this advertised as a 100W unit, it's 20W max". Maybe you'll help the next poor soul who buys it. What are the odds the seller will open it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    If you decide to open the unit up, write somewhere inside "Hey I got shipped this advertised as a 100W unit, it's 20W max". Maybe you'll help the next poor soul who buys it. What are the odds the seller will open it up?
    Probably not many people would want to open it up I’m guessing. Most people would just assume since it runs, it’s fine. I fix stuff like this for a living, so to me, I always check under the hood.

Well, if they refuse to pay for return shipping, I suspect PayPal will just refund my money and at least I’ll have a platform to upgrade the laser source.

If they do pay for return shipping, I’ll probably mark up a nice nameplate for them and glue it to the laser source at no charge!

Raycus is a global company with a lot of support. Contact them and ask them how to accurately identify it. They aren't one of the small fly by night companies, they are huge and professional. I suspect they can tell you exactly what you are looking at.

What size is the power supply? I would suspect that it should be considerably larger than the one on a 20W.

I assume you've calibrated the focus, since it sounds like you already know what you're doing, but it's worth asking.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Funny thing, short of having power tests done, I've always wondered, how do I know 'this machine' is 30 watts? For that matter, same with my C02 machines...For 3 years my frame of 'fiber' reference was my Triumph. But my first ebay machine, with a 150mm lens just like the Triumph, 'acted' like it had noticeably more power than the Triumph. As time ticks on I've noticed there's really not that much difference, if any, in the results of engraving like stuff at like settings. But one thing is true, the ebay laser is much louder than the Triumph when engraving. But I'm now attributing some of that to the very different lenses on each. That all said, seems power testing is really the only way to be sure...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Raycus is a global company with a lot of support. Contact them and ask them how to accurately identify it. They aren't one of the small fly by night companies, they are huge and professional. I suspect they can tell you exactly what you are looking at.

What size is the power supply? I would suspect that it should be considerably larger than the one on a 20W.

I assume you've calibrated the focus, since it sounds like you already know what you're doing, but it's worth asking.
    I did send Raycus an email but due to the Chinese New Year, I’m waiting for them to return to work.

I have calibrated the focus and even messed with the tcstart and stop settings to get crisp corners and even laser lines.

The power supply is a 1300va or 5 amp unit.
    Last edited by Ryan Bond Sr.; 01-29-2020 at 2:46 PM. Reason: Forgot details

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Funny thing, short of having power tests done, I've always wondered, how do I know 'this machine' is 30 watts? For that matter, same with my C02 machines...For 3 years my frame of 'fiber' reference was my Triumph. But my first ebay machine, with a 150mm lens just like the Triumph, 'acted' like it had noticeably more power than the Triumph. As time ticks on I've noticed there's really not that much difference, if any, in the results of engraving like stuff at like settings. But one thing is true, the ebay laser is much louder than the Triumph when engraving. But I'm now attributing some of that to the very different lenses on each. That all said, seems power testing is really the only way to be sure...
    Well, I hooked up my multimeter to the unit and tested amp draw before and after voltage step up. I then used the data sheet from Raycus and compared the two.

I suppose you could get one of those optical power meters and see what power the beam is putting out.

Having prior experience with a true 50w also made me think something was up when I tried to mark a stainless tag with some aggressive hatch settings and it sounded pretty weak.

I’d rather have a more powerful unit, but for now, it’s doing the job I need it to do, all be it slower than I wanted.

I believe Raycus is located in Wahan China.... epicenter of world wide virus outbreak. The Chinese have pretty much shut everything down in that town. So if you don't get a quick reply from Raycus, you will know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bond Sr. View Post
    I did send Raycus an email but due to the Chinese New Year, I’m waiting for them to return to work.

I have calibrated the focus and even messed with the tcstart and stop settings to get crisp corners and even laser lines.

The power supply is a 1300va or 5 amp unit.
    5a at 120v is 600 watts - you may just have a 100w machine... you could also have a lower power source with a PSU that is way overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    I believe Raycus is located in Wahan China.... epicenter of world wide virus outbreak. The Chinese have pretty much shut everything down in that town. So if you don't get a quick reply from Raycus, you will know why.
    You know, I saw that they were from that province and was joking to my wife that if they did send out an actual 100watt source that the seller would take turns coughing on it!

But then I realized that just because Raycus is from there that doesn’t mean the seller is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    5a at 120v is 600 watts - you may just have a 100w machine... you could also have a lower power source with a PSU that is way overkill.
    Well the unit only pulls .4a at static and .83a at 100% 20khz. This matches closer to a 20w unit according to what I’m seeing online.

Once I hear back from Raycus about alternative ways to identify the unit, I’ll know definitively.

Ouch!
    and thanks for the cautionary story!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Just remembered I have a kill-a-watt meter, just connected it to my 'ebay-1' machine-

At rest amps:
    rest.jpg

full power @ 30khz...
    30k.jpg

full power @ 80khz
    80k.jpg

These differences seem a bit skewed, could be my fans are pulling more power than yours...
    So, calculating at-rest to full power ratios, which should take fans & such out of the equation, your machine's full power is 207.5% of your at rest power, whereas mine is pulling 340.9%...

My ebay-2 laser's next job isn't set up,so I tested it too:
    at rest, .83 amps
    full power @ 30khz, 2.88 amps
    full power @ 80khz, 2.91 amps
    2.91/.83 = 350.6% of at-rest power...

My lowest-ratio e1 is putting out 97% of my e2's power,
    whereas
    your machine's ratio is just under 61% of my lower e1's power...

61% of 30 watts works out to 18.3 watts...

Ergo, it does seem you're in the 20 watt ballpark...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle