Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I sent this morticing jig to Paul Sellers ...

About like a big bucket of ice water, to cool off the "haters", is it not....

Also, means someone else can't claim Paul is using one of their ideas....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Did someone kick your cat?

Did someone pour a bit of cranky in you coffee this morning?

Someone shared an idea with Paul Sellers to pass on to his followers. It seems Paul Sellers doesn't want his followers to realize there are other ways from others who have knowledge to share.

Most of the great ideas in woodworking are older than our grandfathers. Be it the ruler trick or the #140 trick, they have all likely been used well before any of us were born.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Any Particular Flavour of Cheese?

So, lets get this straight. Someone is upset because someone else did not respond to them.....Did not comment on un-solisited advise they received...and treated the entire thing as just so much Junk mail. Is that about how this started out?

Paul is rather famous for such...if something doesn't match what he is trying to teach, he will delete it. It is after all HIS site..and therefore HIS rules.

Maybe see IF Derek can send his jig to Rex Krueger....maybe he might show some interest?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-28-2022 at 5:15 PM.

Steven, aside from your all-too-frequent sour grapes attitude (smacks of sibling rivalry), my post here was partly a reflection of my being incredulous about Paul Sellers’ behaviour, and partly to offer a gift to the forum. Why incredulous? Because the mortice jig was Paul’s “grandchild”, that is, it was inspired by his original (?) version. My offer to Paul was unconditional. The concept was his to do with as he pleased. As anyone here who has visited my website is aware, I have many, many ideas there for all to use freely.

Incidentally, this arrive in my email today: https://paulsellers.com/2022/11/rout...sellers-blog_2

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now I know WHY I have you on Ignore...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Now I know WHY I have you on Ignore...
    Funny, it doesn't seem to be working.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Under a Flood Watch, right now.....from all the crying going on.....

Yes, I am a bit grouchy....that chest cold I am fighting is making me that way....The LAST thing I feel like listening to is a whinny brat....

I think I will try to head to my own woodshop, today....and see how things go. No fancy jigs, no need for blue tape smudging things up...just a small handsaw, a chisel or 2, and something to whack the chisels with....Need to get my glasses cleaned up, couple of pencils sharpened up, try out a new Marking knife....

I was a Gentleman, once....only by an Act of Congress..one of the sayings I used to call out.."Carry on! I'll be in the area all day."

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Steven, aside from your all-too-frequent sour grapes attitude (smacks of sibling rivalry), my post here was partly a reflection of my being incredulous about Paul Sellers’ behaviour, and partly to offer a gift to the forum. Why incredulous? Because the mortice jig was Paul’s “grandchild”, that is, it was inspired by his original (?) version. My offer to Paul was unconditional. The concept was his to do with as he pleased. As anyone here who has visited my website is aware, I have many, many ideas there for all to use freely.

Incidentally, this arrive in my email today: https://paulsellers.com/2022/11/rout...sellers-blog_2

Regards from Perth

Derek
    So you used someone else's idea, then designed your own version as an "improvement", then sent it back to him. How is the response vexing you?

Even with the best intentions, it does not matter if you did indeed "improve" it or not, this will ruffle feathers. The only way this works is if you were asked to do it, which you were not.
    I feel you may be being a bit naive.
    JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Under a Flood Watch, right now.....from all the crying going on.....

Yes, I am a bit grouchy....that chest cold I am fighting is making me that way....The LAST thing I feel like listening to is a whinny brat....

I think I will try to head to my own woodshop, today....and see how things go. No fancy jigs, no need for blue tape smudging things up...

Steven,

I've found that writing unkind posts and engaging in negative interactions increases my own unhappiness...

If a post or topic irks you, ignore it and move on. I think you'll find it refreshing.

Just a helpful tip from a fellow traveler... and thank you for your build threads - your pictures really help illustrate your process.

Watched one of Paul’s videos once, concluded his site was aimed at absolute beginners and never been back.

I remember when people just read Tage Frid’s books and got on with it. I do enjoy good ideas but allow 10 seconds per idea! Not all people are receptive!

Yes we all can all get upset. A platform attendant just tried to supervise me getting on a train! I said I managed a 12 ft stepladder yesterday, I think I can make it! It’s called pretending you have a real job!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Each YT presenter has their own shtick. Paul Sellers is a use what you have. Is the best way to cut a mortise with a guide? Is the best way to cut a tenon to cut it fat than trim it with a router plane? Both work. Is the quickest way to cut the mortise with a mortise chisel by eye and then saw the tenon to the line. I think the second way is most probably the way they were done in the past. The same with other tasks. No sense in arguing over it. Just get what you think you can use from any presenter and leave it there.
    Jim

I believe this thread has run its course.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney