Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - New Jointer or New Planer which one first?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harman View Post
    What's this Jointer/Planer combo you speak of Guys? - Just kidding - which brand would give 16" of jointing width?

Felder/Hammer and SCM/Minimax are the brands most discussed. Both companies produce great gear. I'm all SCM/Minimax because that was what appealed to me when I was buying, but would happily get the same utility from Felder/Hammer for similarly equipped machines. None of these tools are "inexpensive" for the initial buy, but the capacities and quality are really great to have over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got space? Go separate.

Nice thing about J/P's: you can get helical on both functions for the price of one. I have a Hammer A341

The way I work, I find I usually have slightly more jointing capacity and slightly less planing capacity than I really need.

I was looking to upgrade my jointer last year and went to look at a Cantek 12'' jointer ,the guy selling wanted $ 3500. I was on Kijiji a day later and found a Paolini 16'' jointer 4 hours away for $2400. I bought it. About a month later there was a SCM 16'' jointer/planer that had been in storage for years,wish I had found it first.

Planer for sure. I had an old 8" Delta jointer all shimmed up too, but it still got it done.

Planer.

You really don't even need a jointer, unless you do production work.
    I got by nicely for the past 14 years with just a planer. (Though upgrading from a lunchbox to a PM100 made a huge difference.)
    I used a very nice planer sled, and hand planes when I had the time & wanted the exercise.

Only this year have I decided to look for a good jointer. I want one just for convenience, when time is tight and I have long boards to work. - And 8" should be plenty, as you can still do 2/3 of a 12" board, then run it through you planer with a support underneath one side

If I had a 20" planer, then of course I'd want a 12" jointer.

-----------------

Then again, that $2800 Grizzly 12" J/P is pretty cool, esp the shallow fence mechanism. If I had the money, I might consider that.
    But my powermatic is a better machine, has longer tables, and has a true Shelix head. (The grizzly only has a spiral head.)

Felder? Well yeah, in my dreams.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 06-13-2019 at 7:13 PM.

I think you should get rid of that jointer and buy a new one. Just dump it by the side of the road preferably right next to my driveway please

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post

That's kinda subjective... I wouldn't want to be without a jointer, particularly a wide one. I like to flatten lumber as the first step of preparing project components. Yea, one can kinda do that with a sled, wedges and a planer, but I don't pweaonlLY find that appealing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Planer.

I'm not sure I'm on board with that statement Allan. It would be very dependent on the type of projects you do. Production, or not.
    I don't do anything even remotely close to production work and wouldn't want to be without a jointer.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I recently took delivery of my Hammer A3-41, which I had ordered some time ago. So far it’s been fantastic. Converting to and from planer/jointer mode is a snap. Way more capacity than my old 6” Grizzly jointer and my DeWalt 735 planer. I also added some of the options like the the digital planer height gauge and the 18” aluminum jointer table extensions. Really a pleasure. For me the space-saving characteristics of a combination machine were important.

Scott