Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Works - Black & Decker merge!

Stanley Works - Black & Decker merge!

Hmm, wonder what this means?

Good timing - I was also wondering about this.

Anyone have experience with this #92 shoulder plane?:
    http://www.stanleytools.com/default....F+Chisel+Plane
    I've been thinking about asking for one for Christmas, and this might be a good alternative to the much more expensive Veritas. Would this be considered comparable in size to the Medium Vertias Shoulder Plan?

I have some nice stanley hand tools which is probably why that brand name can do well in box stores and wal-marts... I have nothing against them though I know most of their stuff is from China.

Though I can't say the same for B&D because my one experience with a $20 jig saw I got from target broke after an hour of use... When I took a survey I found that I put B&D power tools at the bottom of the list of brands. Worse than HF...

My grandpa even gave me a hand me down vintage b&D sander... It didn't even turn on when I plugged it in. Didn't surpise me there.

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Stanley Works (SWK) agreed to buy Black & Decker Corp. (BDK) for $4.5 billion in stock, combining two household names in the market for tools.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...02-716571.html

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/02/news...ion=2009110216
    Last edited by Chris Tsutsui; 11-02-2009 at 6:16 PM.

According to what I saw...Stanley bought B&D. Maybe that means an upgrade for B&D?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

So, how many brand names will Stanley own now?

John

DeWalt, Porter Cable and Delta

Stanley will also take control of DeWalt, Porter Cable and Delta as a result of this transaction...

So we may now know the real reason The New Yankee Workshop was put to bed. Stanley taking over Delta may have dried the funding up.

Quintessence that the end of NYW was announced two weeks ago and the Stanley takeover today????????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    According to what I saw...Stanley bought B&D. Maybe that means an upgrade for B&D?
    Can it get worse?

Maybe Stanley will keep PC and DeWalt brands, improve Delta's machine focus, and sell off the B&D line, perhaps to a toilet paper manufacturer trying to integrate vertically?

I just spent a few hours starting to tune up some old Stanley planes I was given from a guy that grew up in New Britain, CT. His father got them from a friend that worked at Stanley Works in New Britain. Man, they have been through some changes over there. Used to be around here everybody knew somebody that worked at Stanley works I'm told. Now I'm not sure anybody does.

On the up side, when I order odd parts for my old Stanley acquisitions, they nearly always have them, and they arrive in rather short order. Perhaps they can straighten out Delta, who seem to think anything past warranty is obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Can it get worse?
    Sure, Harbour Freight could buy the lot

Regards, Rod.

Matt,

I've put a square on some of the Stanley shoulder planes at Woodcraft, and they were hardly even close. Before buying a new 92, I would check it with a good square. Maybe an older 92 would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sure, Harbour Freight could buy the lot

Regards, Rod.
    At least they have a liberal return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Winterhalter View Post
    Stanley will also take control of DeWalt, Porter Cable and Delta as a result of this transaction...
    DW, Delta, PC, Oldham, Viper, Hickory, DevilBiss, B&D, Firestorm, and who knows what else...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

This is more of the wall street myth that two bad companies make a big better company. Usually results in poorer product quality, lay offs and better earnings.

I didn't know they had DeVilbiss. Yikes.