Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair price on a used Festool?

Fair price on a used Festool?

How do you guys generally go about figuring out a fair price on used power tools? I’ve been looking at getting a festool tracksaw. I found a seller who has a Festool Ts55 track saw with (2) 4ft rails. He says the saw has been used 5-7 times. He doesn’t have a price listed. What do you guys think would be a fair offer on this?

They hold value well. 75% of msrp would be a good deal.

I will add to what Matt said, if it is still under warranty you could see closer to 80%

Yeah, I saw that CL ad too. Color me skeptical. A lister who doesn't put the price in the ad is either an idiot or a scam artist.

I know people push 20-25% off retail, but as a buyer that’s not good enough for me to buy from you and not a retailer. I’ve sold for 35-40% off retail and purchased from others from 40%-60%. I’ll pay more than 50% off retail if the tool has accessories. Buying festool accessories at 40-50% off is a bargain.

I agree with Patrick that 25% off is not enough to make me buy used, BUT... that is what used Festool sells for; so unless you are willing to pay that, you will have to pay new.
    I have bought a number of tools from Festool that are reconditioned for 20% off. AFAIKS they are new, and have a warranty; though i can't remember what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    ...I’ve sold for 35-40% off retail and purchased from others from 40%-60%...
    Not for Festool you won't.

If the tool is like new, a 20%-25% discount should be extremely fair. BTW I bought my TS 55 kit for $350 off c/l, but that was years ago.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Even within Festool, 'it depends' on the popularity of that particular tool. A barely used domino will yield 80% + of new. A used/dirty vacuum might go 30% off. The track saw is fairly popular right now - I bet they can get 80% of retail.

The fact that Festool rarely goes on sale also keeps secondary market prices high.

I looked at a couple items used, and decided it just wasnt worth the few $ in savings and I paid full retail from a convenient supplier. A known history on the product, with clarity of support/service if needed.

Many Festool power tools will sell lightly used on ebay for about the same as new. About the only thing the buyer was saving was sales tax and frequently had to pay freight to do it. All US Festool prices include freight. So the seller is getting the current list price less ebay fees, which may be about what he paid for the tool a year or two before.
    If you buy new, it includes 30 day no question satisfaction guarantee, 3 year warranty, and free freight in the US. Hard not to buy new.
    Sometimes you can get a deal from a seller that doesn't know or doesn't want to bother with ebay. Not sure I blame them on that.
    Accessories are a different story. This is just for power tools.

Buy a new TS55 and take really nice care of it and sell it in two years for what you paid for it less sales tax. Not a bad deal. Someday the situation may change.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Not for Festool you won't.

If the tool is like new, a 20%-25% discount should be extremely fair. BTW I bought my TS 55 kit for $350 off c/l, but that was years ago.
    Ok, says you. I have paypal transactions for an OF2000, OF1400, OF2200, TS75, RO150, ETS150/5, DF500, and DF700 that would prove im buying festool for 40%+ off retail. And frankly, who is buying stuff 80% of new? I see ads sometimes on FOG and elsewhere, but that stuff doesnt come down in a day or two. If its in awesome shape with warranty remaining, then sure see if you can get 75-80% of retail. From my experience, I struggled to sell festool gear in great shape for 35% off retail. I cant imagine how people would fair at 20%. Be prepared to deal to wait awhile. From the buyer's perspective, i would advocate patience. A festool track saw isnt a wadkin PK. There will be another one soon for the price you want.

I don't typically respond to Craigslist ads that don't have the asking price in the ad. I don't have time for that. Some folks do though.
    Festool does hold it's value, but you can run into someone that is trying to sell it quick, but you have to react quick also.

How old is the model? The TS 55 has been around in one form or another for a very long time.
    If you go by new today, It cost $790.00 out the door retail, and that includes 55 dollars in sales tax. The sales tax is the sellers issue, and they can eat the $55.00 bucks in sales tax. I would base my offer on a percentage of the retail, which would be $735.00.
    The second 1400mm guide rails is a compromise to me, and I own three Festool rails. Two 1400mm rails will kind of work to rip a sheet of plywood, but a longer second rail is better. That second guide rail has no value to me, and the seller can either sell it separately, or give it me, but I wouldn't buy it.
    The retail price of the saw and guide rail package is $590 new. I'd offer him $475 for the saw and one rail and he can do as he wished with the second. This price goes down with age because 5 or 6 years ago Festool changed the Systainers to a new locking design.
    It also doesn't help that a few of the new tracks systems have guide rails that are compatible with the Festool. The could have a bearing on price also, so maybe $425-$450 for the saw and one rail??? This would be a "newer" model.
    The other detractor to me is that it is a TS55. I personally would offer more for a TS75, simply for the increased depth of cut. Right now though there are a 1/2dozen track saws the same size as the TS55, so for me personally a used TS55 isn't that interesting.

For the record I own a Festool TS75, OF1400, OF2200, and a Carvex. These along with three guide rails. Two 1400mm and one the next size up 1900mm. I don't find the 1400mm's very useful. I am pretty familiar with the Festool products.

It's kind of a "brutal" response. Apologies if I offended anyone, but if a seller doesn't ask a price, they have to expect to receive offers for much less than they think an item is worth, and negotiate up from there.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-05-2019 at 6:29 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Jeesh, some very strong opinions here.

But your question:

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollander View Post
    How do you guys generally go about figuring out a fair price on used power tools?
    Starting with other experiences here on SMC is a good data point. But as you can see, no one experience fits all.

Look on ebay. See what the prices are there and there is a way to look at actual final transaction amounts (or at least there used to be, so you see what things actually sold for not just asking price).

Search CL yourself. If nothing in your area, use searchtempest to see what they sell for in other markets.

Often timing factors in, so if you are patient you can find a better deal than if you want it this week/month/year (some people wait years for a deal, I know I have on some things)

Like anything, it is worth whatever it can be sold for. So there isnt an exact answer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    I disagree with this because

1. There usually isnt enough inventory to go around and if you’re not eyeing the site the second the tool is put up AND you have a blistering internet connection - you’re gonna miss out on the tool.

2. There is no standard for the condition of the tool you’ll receive. It will be working, but it could be a brand spanking new but discontinued -or- it might be a well used sander that looks like it was dragged behind a truck and simply had its pad replaced. You don’t even get to see a pic. of the tool you’re purchasing.

3. All sales final ! So if you get that well loved tool you’re stuck with it.

4. Prices are generally only 20% off. AND / BUT

5. They only have a one year warranty instead of three.

It’s not really a good value proposition assuming you are even fortunate enough to get what you’re looking for.

If I had known just how good the Festool track saws actually are, I would have gladly paid their outrageous retail price, rather than waiting for a deal. And I would never give mine up or replace with another brand.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."