Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet saw overhead dust collection

Cabinet saw overhead dust collection

Here is my new overhead collection port for the table saw. I have a five inch port at the bottom that I will throttle back a bit when this one is open. It is a bit Rube Goldbergish but works well, can be adjusted in all axis and be folded up out of the way when not being used. I thought about a hood but this works almost as well and isn’t in the way. Attachment 451989Attachment 451994[ATTACH=CONFIG]451995[/ATTACH)
    Charlie Jones

I can't see the attachments. Are the links valid or could you just upload the photos. I'm struggling with this same need right now and would love to see your solution.

Blog Entries
    I'd also be interested. I was so excited initially when I purchased a Shark Guard... it is a very nice and effective option, but since it attaches where the riving knife would normally be, I find that I am constantly removing it for various operations.... and now, I rarely put it back in place unless I know I'm doing a ton of the same cut.

I really need something that floats above the table instead. Darn. Miscalculated on the Shark Guard purchase.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I don’t know what happened. I will post the pictures again.
    Charlie Jones

I think this may do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charlie Jones

I am sure it could be done neater but I was designing as I went. rather than taking the DC pipe apart and adding a Y, I cut an opening and made my own using fiberglass cloth strips and duct mastic. I have done these before. It was not that hard. I used two flat cabinet hinges for the folding.
    Charlie Jones

I will suggest to you that you need to be extremely careful with that setup and insure that it cannot in any way bounce into the blade...test your wood parts to confirm that if you have not done so already. It's hard to see how stout things are in the photos. I believe you've already considered this, but feel it's important to mention. Also keep in mind that most of the material comes off the side of the blade facing the fence rail. You will capture some dust for sure with your arrangement, of course, but most isn't heading in that direction because of the spin of the blade. That's why you typically see dust hoods in guard form that reach toward the fence rail to grab what's coming off the teeth of the spinning blade. I'm not mentioning these things to criticize; rather, just to keep safety and purpose in focus.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do understand the safety concern. Thanks Jim. I will add an additional stop to make sure it can’t contact the blade. Most of the time it will be adjusted higher than the blade. I believe it is safer than a hood because I can see the blade better. I have tested it by cutting along the edge of a board where most of the dust is generated. It seems to be getting 95 percent of the dust. Of course it helps that I have 5hp dust collector. Now I will need a grill over the opening to keep small pieces from being sucked up.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    I'd also be interested. I was so excited initially when I purchased a Shark Guard... it is a very nice and effective option, but since it attaches where the riving knife would normally be, I find that I am constantly removing it for various operations.... and now, I rarely put it back in place unless I know I'm doing a ton of the same cut.

I really need something that floats above the table instead. Darn. Miscalculated on the Shark Guard purchase.
    Bob have you considered mounting the Shark Guard from above with Unistrut? I bought the adapter kit to do that with mine but haven’t gone ahead yet since it will require some planning and engineering.

What is Unistrut? Adapter kit??

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sahlman View Post
    What is Unistrut? Adapter kit??
    The industry (industrial) standard for mounting pipe or conduit to a wall, etc. ...Lots of makers and distributors for it; wide variety/size of clamps that slide into it.

Almost forgot, you can get corner/angle brackets and construct frames and other such fanciness.

I bought a Grizzly T10113 a couple years ago. It is universal overarm blade guard and dust collection. If it's in the way I can lift it up 8 to 10 inches or swing it out of the way up to 90 degrees. I didn't use the long leg piece and opted to bolt the column to the table and mobile base since I don't move my Unisaw. It works really well.

DSC03182.jpg

I used the Sommerville Excalibur overarm blade guard for 18 yrs. before selling it with my cabinet saw. When I purchased my sliding tablesaw it had a blade guard mounted to the riving knife which I really disliked. So I purchased the Grizzly version and really like it as it is very similar to my old Excalibur and when collected to my Oneida Gorilla Pro does a great job collecting dust.
    9AD014FA-991B-4848-BC89-6FDFC2490891.jpg2B45DCE5-58EF-4D85-A6C8-911B25CBAB05.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    Bob have you considered mounting the Shark Guard from above with Unistrut? I bought the adapter kit to do that with mine but haven’t gone ahead yet since it will require some planning and engineering.
    This is what I will be doing as well. Been using the original Shark Guard for years. Just got to get the nesting parts to build the overhead support. I actually ordered the version 3 upgrade as well, but am missing a couple parts. Wish he'd contact me back. I have all the parts for the overhead, just missing the version 3 upgrade, not that it is needed. Was just going to use the upgrade until I go around to the overhead part. Guess I'll just do the overhead part instead.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    This is what I will be doing as well. Been using the original Shark Guard for years. Just got to get the nesting parts to build the overhead support. I actually ordered the version 3 upgrade as well, but am missing a couple parts. Wish he'd contact me back. I have all the parts for the overhead, just missing the version 3 upgrade, not that it is needed. Was just going to use the upgrade until I go around to the overhead part. Guess I'll just do the overhead part instead.

Please share your design when you are able, I'd love to see it and possibly steal it.