Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Screws Move allignment

Kreg Screws Move allignment

Anyone else have issues where when you tighten a Kreg scew, due to the angle it pulls the wood out of alignment? Even clamping it, it still moves? What am I doing wrong?

Must be clamped very tightly and I use a clamping square to help keep it aligned. I have also drilled a pilot hole thru the drilled pocket hole into the piece the screw is going into.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 12-04-2017 at 8:33 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I agree with George. I am building a kitchen right now and have the same experience and workaround. It has to be tightly clamped.

Thanks,
    on one corner I tried to put a block of wood to hold it tight, it helped a bit, I guess I need to eat my Wheaties and crack the pressure up on the clamps!

It can be surprising at just how much force comes from tightening a simple screw. Clamp away!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I have for sure had this problem, very annoying. Clamp well and carefully.

Try a few dowels for alignment, clamp, and then screw

i always throw a few domino's in so I do not have to try to fight this - dowels also work

I like to clamp the faces or a board on the corner to help hold the face square.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    i always throw a few domino's in so I do not have to try to fight this - dowels also work
    Not a bad idea, but point of the system is to glue, clamp, and screw. I will just have to compensate for it in the future and clamp the heck of of it!

I think the prior comments are talking about applying force in the same direction as the screw (minus the angle) which I agree helps a lot. I also have the vise grip pliers type of clamp that just align the two pieces. That also helps and is easier to use sometimes. Sometimes a pin nail or two helps. Sometimes I start slightly mis-aligned so the screw will pull it to alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Anyone else have issues where when you tighten a Kreg scew, due to the angle it pulls the wood out of alignment? Even clamping it, it still moves? What am I doing wrong?
    Jim, which direction is the material moving for you? Away from the pocket hole side? Toward the pocket hole side? Or at 90 degree angles from the pocket hole side? Or a combination of these?

For me the Kreg screw system just doesn't work. The only way to keep a joint from eventually slipping for me was to glue and screw. And with they you are often counting on end grain glue success. The physics are such that the screw wants to move the joint. Once I got a domino I gave up on the Kreg system. I may some day get a Castle system.

The Castle system does not slip like the Kreg due to the hole / screw angle. But at a price as the Castle unit costs a lot more.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Don't push too hard on driver. Let do it's thing. Clamp very tightly