Thread: Wiring a new starter for 5HP Powermatic planner

Wiring a new starter for 5HP Powermatic planner

Hello Everyone! I've been out of woodworking for about 5 years but getting back into buying tools to start woodworking again. I purchased a used Powermatic 20inch planner with a helical head and replaced the starter which I knew from the previous owner had a bad relay because he had it directly wired to the electrical box.

I replaced the starter (with an OEM Powermatic starter) and reattached all wires to terminals that mirrored the old starter and plugged the machine in and it started up perfectly however the machine would not shut off when pushing in the off button near the infeed table. I ordered a new off button and found out the button works fine (still doesn't shut off) so I looked at the wires inside the starter and noticed they don't match the wire detail listed in the manual.

Before I go any future, I want to ask you all your advice, I don't want to start rewiring things and mess something up but prefer to seek your suggestions. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, the stop buttons are normally closed and must be wired in series.

If you have multiple start buttons they are normally open and are wired in parallel..........Regards, Rod

Thanks Ron for the reply but I'm still in the dark about how this is to be wired. Does anyone have a similar machine or set up they could look at including the on/off switch near the infeed table? Again, I really appreciate the help.

I think what I'm asking is, what terminals on the starter do I connect the remote on/off switch to? The red, black and white wires..

Did you look at the manual for the planner? Usually there is a wiring diagram in there. I not, I'm sure you could get one either on line or tech support.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Brewer View Post
    I think what I'm asking is, what terminals on the starter do I connect the remote on/off switch to? The red, black and white wires..
    First no real electrician would use white as a hot or even a switched wire. Just not done, unless you have the wrong push button station and its got a pilot light that requires a neutral or white wire.

Like Rod said about if its a standard push button 3 wire stop - start station, one side of the NC Stop push button goes to power , and the other side jumps down to the start button which is NO and parallel with the AUX on the motor starter. The start button NO side also puts power to motor starter holding coil. There may be OL overloads and safety interlocks in the circuit. Diagram is typical of all motor starters with stop-start station. "S" is motor starter holding coil.

StopStart.JPG
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-08-2017 at 9:04 AM. Reason: Diagram
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Have you looked up the model and see if you can get a wiring diagram?
    Don

See my added info above
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10