Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What tools should I avoid--to avoid developing bad habits?

download.jpeg
    Bad habit? Jury's out...
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Jigs are not the enemy. There's a difference between using a jig because you do not want to take the time to learn a skill (e.g. dovetail guide), using a jig because the cut you need to make requires extraordinary consistency (e.g paring a mitre to fit a mitre), and using a jig because it will save production time.

Oh yeah ... don't buy anything made by Steve Voigt ... it just can't be good

Regards from Perth

Derek

Save those jigs.

Then when you find the one you made for the same thing 5 years ago you'll have two!!

If, for example, you hand cut DT's once a year and, then maybe a saw guide is a good thing. But, as Derek said, if you're goal is to master skills, then guides, etc are really just a crutch, aren't they?

Blog Entries
    But, as Derek said, if you're goal is to master skills, then guides, etc are really just a crutch, aren't they?
    At least one case of using a guide is open to debate. Most of the time my sharpening is done freehand. When a bevel needs to be reestablished without using powered equipment, a guide can speed things up. Otherwise to touch up an edge, it is quicker to do it freehand than to get out a guide and set it up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Everything to follow is nothing more than my opinion.

Avoid having every different brand of plane there is. All but a very few of my planes are Stanley/Bailey models. The parts are mostly interchangeable.

Avoid some of the lesser off brand planes like Shelton or some of the others with a stamped frog.

Of course if one is using Japanese style planes that is a whole different story.

This also leads me to purchase tools well known from vendors like Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley and others instead of anonymous sources on Amazon. If you lose a screw from an LV or LN product you are not likely going to have a problem getting a replacement. Someone selling things imported from Bangladesh might have trouble getting you a replacement, especially if they disappear when their supply is all sold.

There are some good brands that were actually made by quality makers, but some of them only have a similar shape to a working tool.

Avoid tools you haven't researched. There is nothing like getting Combination Plane Fever for a Stanley #45 on ebay to only find out it is missing a critical part that isn't available.

To me some of my favorite posts are others asking about a particular tool or even a tool maker. Some of those posts have given me the confidence to purchase from people like Ron Bontz. The satisfaction people have expressed with the Gramercy Saw Vise helped me decide to order one to replace my other saw vises that leave a bit to be desired. It hasn't been set up yet.

So on that my advice might be to spring for the Gramercy Saw Vise if you can or do not purchase a saw vise you can not inspect to make sure the saw is held securely.

If there is a voice in your head saying, "this isn't what you really want" and another voice saying, "it will do for now." Listen to the one that says, "it isn't what you want". Buyers remorse is not a healthy nor a satisfying feeling.

jtk
    Workmate portable work bench. It will teach you to "get by"instead of using a true functioning work bench

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Everything to follow is nothing more than my opinion.

Avoid having every different brand of plane there is. All but a very few of my planes are Stanley/Bailey models. The parts are mostly interchangeable.

Avoid some of the lesser off brand planes like Shelton or some of the others with a stamped frog.

Of course if one is using Japanese style planes that is a whole different story.

This also leads me to purchase tools well known from vendors like Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley and others instead of anonymous sources on Amazon. If you lose a screw from an LV or LN product you are not likely going to have a problem getting a replacement. Someone selling things imported from Bangladesh might have trouble getting you a replacement, especially if they disappear when their supply is all sold.

There are some good brands that were actually made by quality makers, but some of them only have a similar shape to a working tool.

Avoid tools you haven't researched. There is nothing like getting Combination Plane Fever for a Stanley #45 on ebay to only find out it is missing a critical part that isn't available.

To me some of my favorite posts are others asking about a particular tool or even a tool maker. Some of those posts have given me the confidence to purchase from people like Ron Bontz. The satisfaction people have expressed with the Gramercy Saw Vise helped me decide to order one to replace my other saw vises that leave a bit to be desired. It hasn't been set up yet.

So on that my advice might be to spring for the Gramercy Saw Vise if you can or do not purchase a saw vise you can not inspect to make sure the saw is held securely.

If there is a voice in your head saying, "this isn't what you really want" and another voice saying, "it will do for now." Listen to the one that says, "it isn't what you want". Buyers remorse is not a healthy nor a satisfying feeling.

jtk
    A Workmate portable bench. You'll learn how to get by rather than learning to use a proper bench as an extension of your hands

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kent wardecke View Post
    A Workmate portable bench. You'll learn how to get by rather than learning to use a proper bench as an extension of your hands
    My first bench was a Workmate portable bench used in a small space. It helped, but it was a PITA. It was responsible for as much frustration as it was for finished projects.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Yes - ironically, making spectacular beautiful masterwork jigs to do a 1 time operation is kinda crazy when you think about it... Because it may take far more time and money to buy or make the jig than the thing you are doing...

But other times - you are crazy not to make some sort of jig to do a task.. For example - if your hand tool skills are good enough to completely freehand a guitar rosette - you are a better man than I and have my enduring admiration.... In my experience - a circle cutting jig of some sort is more or less mandatory.. Now - do you go spend $400 or 6 weeks in the workshop on that jig for a 1 time use? No, that's crazy... You can make one out of a popsicle stick, a straight pin, and an exacto knife blade or drill holes in a $1 piece of lexan for a router jig..

Thanks

Avoid using the credit card tool to buy tools that you don't need to make a living or save a life.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kent wardecke View Post
    I agree, and yet I still have mine sitting folded behind the bandsaw just waiting for its next opportunity to lend a squeezing hand.....LOL

Avoid any tool sold at a Department Store or Big Box Retailer, especially if it is made in China.

This rule will help you avoid developing the following 2 Bad Habits.

Bad Habit Number 1: Wasting hard-earned money on reasonably-priced, attractively designed tools that are packaged and displayed with style, incorporate obviously clever improvements, but are junk the minute they are out of the packaging.

Bad Habit Number 2: Throwing tools in the garbage (see Bad Habit Number 1 above).
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 04-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.

It's a beautiful thing- your hobby, your choice. What's your goal? If you are trying to make nice things, and your sense of satisfaction is from completed projects, I would suggest avoiding duplicates​.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john jesseph View Post
    It's a beautiful thing- your hobby, your choice. What's your goal? If you are trying to make nice things, and your sense of satisfaction is from completed projects, I would suggest avoiding duplicates​.
    Where were you with these words of wisdom about 20 years ago?

Some of my duplicates have duplicates.

jtk

I was busy acquiring duplicates.

Good tips, everybody!

My only deviation is that I quite like my limited mijingfang planes.
    The HK trim and high angle polisher work great once tuned...particularly on dubious stuff that scares me....like baltic birch plywood or mdf.

If I was using a white steel kanna from a good smith, I would cringe/cry with every stroke.