Thread: Moxon Vise build

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana

Moxon Vise build

Decided that I'd post my first project out here. Decided to put together a Moxon Vise. Using Benchcrafted hardware. Chops are 8/4 maple milled down to 1 3/4". Using a piece of oak as the stabilizer - and took a design feature from Derek Cohen's Moxon design (although I have a LONG way to go before I can even stand in his shadow!). Used the new mallet to chop the mortises for the nuts. Pretty happy with the fit on those. Just waiting for the glue to dry on the stabilizer piece. I could have really used a drill press table for drilling out the oblong holes in the chop, but I got it done with a weird and ungainly setup and a bunch of clamps on the drill press. Another project ahead, I can tell. Do the projects and adapt and build out the shop and tools. One step at a time.
    Clamping Moxon.jpgmoxon nut mortise.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    Shop Dog sighting!

Both Shop Dogs demanded equal time - Toolik is the gold-colored dog - a Chinook, and Kiska, the white Kuvasz. Dog's names reveal my Alaskan roots..

shop dog 1.jpg Shop Dog 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good Dave!

Nice dogs, too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice looking vice and dogs!

Shop envy - dogs and a log building with lots of open space and great lighting. My hole-in-the ground shop is much more cramped and has no dogs. Nice vise too.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks for the kind words.

With regard to the shop - I got "lucky". The shop was the garage, but the garage door clearance is only 6' 4". Way too short for both my truck and 4Runner. So it became the shop. I built an easily removable stud wall in the garage door opening (to be removed, if desired, in the eventuality of selling), insulated the new "wall" with fiberglass and rigid foam to R23 and added a 6' tall man door (torsion box filled with 2" of foam board and an insulated window). Added a ton of lighting, upgraded the electrical feed and installed a bunch of outlets (110 and 220), insulated the attic to R40, and installed a wood stove and a propane heater (for those -30F days!). Slowly working on shop furniture, cabinets, etc.

Dogs are always a bonus - and the Kuvasz works for a living - just last week, a buddy shot a cougar about a 1/4 mile from my house - and saw three other big cats that same day. The Kuvasz guards the livestock. Hopefully the cats are deterred by his barking and BAD attitude toward anything that approaches the property. The Chinook is his backup.

Still working on the final details of the vise. Took a break from it and built a crosscut sled today. Just got the fence squared up (.0007/inch - good enough for this guy!) and glued on the safety block for my hands. Stop block for the fence is next. Working Moxon vise in the background.

crosscut sled.jpg