Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hammer K3 slider T-nuts?

Hammer K3 slider T-nuts?

I'm trying to source a handful of T-nuts for my K3. Preferable the kind that has the little alignment ball, and 5/16" thread, as I have an assortment of jig parts and stuff for 5/16 x 18. Didn't expect this to be this difficult to find....

The slot width at the top is .438
    Total depth is .770
    Total width at the slot bottom is .870

I'm keeping an eye on this as I need a few for my K3 also.

Also curious if there's a better solution. I made some out of HDPE and tapped them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    …I made some out of HDPE and tapped them.
    IMHO, Dan’s solution is the real answer. ^^^

In the early 2000’s, Yeung Chan did an in-house seminar at Felder-Sacramento and brought a bunch of T-nuts he had made out of hardwood, with helicoil-type inserts. I always felt there was a real market for an item like this. You could mill lengths of phenolic to the appropriate profile, drill a hole, then epoxy-in a threaded insert.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

They sound easy enough to make if I am understanding correctly. A wedge of sorts with a tapped hold. I could 3d print them, but I don't think I would trust the strength. I could probably mill them on my CNC pretty easily. If nobody can find a solution and there is enough interest, I might give it a go.

Seeing Erik's post, 3d printed with a heilcoil sounds simple enough.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 01-07-2023 at 11:34 AM.

I know I can make them. I just want to buy a few of the little buggers that are made from aluminum or stainless. I actually have a couple lengths of plastic stuff from Felder that is part of a kit to build a wagon extender. The fit is OK, but I had to run them through a planer to fit the Hammer T slot properly.

This is what I'm looking for.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MQ9PGE...v_lig_dp_it_im

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    IMHO, Dan’s solution is the real answer. ^^^

In the early 2000’s, Yeung Chan did an in-house seminar at Felder-Sacramento and brought a bunch of T-nuts he had made out of hardwood, with helicoil-type inserts. I always felt there was a real market for an item like this. You could mill lengths of phenolic to the appropriate profile, drill a hole, then epoxy-in a threaded insert.

Erik
    As far as I know, Felder sells this in lengths. I have two lengths of 1 metre. Black UHMW.

There is a small section of it under this F&F …

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's the same stuff I was referring to earlier, Derek. It works, OK, but not for what I'm looking to do.

I think the correct term for T-nut I want is "Roll in". They all seem to be made for extruded aluminum, and mostly metric. I could live with metric threads, but the width is the problem.

This was not supposed to be a challenge...... grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I know I can make them. I just want to buy a few of the little buggers that are made from aluminum or stainless. I actually have a couple lengths of plastic stuff from Felder that is part of a kit to build a wagon extender. The fit is OK, but I had to run them through a planer to fit the Hammer T slot properly.

This is what I'm looking for.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MQ9PGE...v_lig_dp_it_im
    While the 5/16-18 equivalent of those are also not in stock at Amazon, you can probably find them on other sites. I have a set of the linked 1/4-20 ones but basically don't use them.

I more recently bought a set of tapped aluminum blocks from Ramon Valdez (not available on his site; he and I communicated through Instagram). They fit nicely in the top slot on the slider and since they don't slide around "very" freely I can just leave them in the slot all the time. They are tapped at M10 x 1.5 and he included two knurled bolts along with them. They work very well with the Kreg Automaxx clamps combined with the Kreg KBCBA base. You just place the clamp on the table above the block and drop the bolt through the base and thread it into the block. No need to slide clamps in from the end of the table.

I like this design so much that I made a few more blocks for myself out of some scrap pieces of hardwood, tapped to the appropriate thread. I also did the same for smaller blocks that fit into the side channel on the table (although I have no jigs at the moment that can take advantage of these). Then I bought a few simple knobs and adjustable handle-style ones off Amazon to use with table jigs. For example, my F&F jig can be clamped down via these blocks if need be.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Hi Michael,

Will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/16-18-Roll-T-...50555812&psc=1

Regards,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    While the 5/16-18 equivalent of those are also not in stock at Amazon, you can probably find them on other sites. I have a set of the linked 1/4-20 ones but basically don't use them.

I more recently bought a set of tapped aluminum blocks from Ramon Valdez (not available on his site; he and I communicated through Instagram). They fit nicely in the top slot on the slider and since they don't slide around "very" freely I can just leave them in the slot all the time. They are tapped at M10 x 1.5 and he included two knurled bolts along with them. They work very well with the Kreg Automaxx clamps combined with the Kreg KBCBA base. You just place the clamp on the table above the block and drop the bolt through the base and thread it into the block. No need to slide clamps in from the end of the table.

I like this design so much that I made a few more blocks for myself out of some scrap pieces of hardwood, tapped to the appropriate thread. I also did the same for smaller blocks that fit into the side channel on the table (although I have no jigs at the moment that can take advantage of these). Then I bought a few simple knobs and adjustable handle-style ones off Amazon to use with table jigs. For example, my F&F jig can be clamped down via these blocks if need be.
    Thank you. I looking to do something very similar to what you have done. I'll have to give Ramon's a look. I bought a couple of his ZCIs, and he does good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Mainhart View Post
    Hi Michael,

Will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/16-18-Roll-T-...50555812&psc=1

Regards,

Rick
    I bought some of those for some extrusion, but they are not wide enough for the slider the slot.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to source a handful of T-nuts for my K3. Preferable the kind that has the little alignment ball, and 5/16" thread, as I have an assortment of jig parts and stuff for 5/16 x 18. Didn't expect this to be this difficult to find....

Total depth is .770
    Try this link There seem to be a variety of sources when you google it, but none appear to be made from aluminum.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-07-2023 at 5:25 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought some of those for some extrusion, but they are not wide enough for the slider the slot.
    These look to be the same as the 1/4-20 and 5/16-18 ones from Faztek. How are the 5/16-18 ones not wide enough? The 1/4-20 ones I have work fine; as you tighten the bolt the nut will raise in the slot and self-center due to its profile. Are the ones you have actually narrower than the width of the slot itself?
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Total depth is .770
    My curiosity makes me ask what jigs and stuff do you want these for?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    These look to be the same as the 1/4-20 and 5/16-18 ones from Faztek. How are the 5/16-18 ones not wide enough? The 1/4-20 ones I have work fine; as you tighten the bolt the nut will raise in the slot and self-center due to its profile. Are the ones you have actually narrower than the width of the slot itself?
    Not quite, but real close.