Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Shipping

Grizzly Shipping

I'm about to order a Grizzly G0800 lathe. Grizzly tells me that when it arrives at my home it will be off-loaded on the road at the bottom of my 200' driveway. That seems crazy! Has that been other peoples experience when ordering from Grizzly? Thanks.

What I've found is that if you pay for lift gate service they will push (or pull, or both) it up the driveway on a pallet jack. My driveway is 200' also with a steep hill. I make sure I'm home when they come to help

We live in a rural area with a fairly steep 1/4 mile gravel drive. For all of my shop machines I have arranged to meet the truck in town and used the tailgate of the delivery truck to load the pallet/machine into my pickup. Then, I use a Harbor Freight shop crane to unload the machine into my shop onto furniture dollies so it can be moved around.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I knew there had to be options. Thanks.

5. I decided to go to the UPS Freight terminal and pick my G0800 up with my trailer. [40 miles] They loaded it onto my trailer with the fork lift. I had a neighbor go with me, and he and my son helped me unload and assemble. Man, you’re gonna love that G0800!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger:
    Did Grizzly charge you the full freight fee even though it wasn't delivered to your home?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I'm about to order a Grizzly G0800 lathe. Grizzly tells me that when it arrives at my home it will be off-loaded on the road at the bottom of my 200' driveway. That seems crazy! Has that been other peoples experience when ordering from Grizzly? Thanks.

I don't think the driver is even required to off load it. Just get it to the tail end of the truck.
    Having said that most drivers will help beyond what they have to do.
    When dealing with freight companies one has to remember its not like dealing with the local hardware store and having a stove or dishwasher deviled where you get full service.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

8. Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Roger:
    Did Grizzly charge you the full freight fee even though it wasn't delivered to your home?
    I called UPS Freight when I was notified my G0800 shipped, and asked them to hold it and I would pick it up. That was my choice because of my own schedule, and doing it that way gave me more control of taking possession, and it not being delivered at a time when I had to be away from home. Only about 40 miles difference in the distance, so I was okay with paying full shipping. Grizzly had no idea I had the shipment held at the freight terminal.

I did the same thing here in Greensboro. I called them and since I live on a dead end street, their Semi could not turn around. I thought it easier to go there and have them set it on my trailer with a fork lift. Once I got it home I used my Harbor Freight shop crane to off load it. I would do it that way again if needed as my drive way is about 200 feet and gravel.

My next door neighbor drives for an express freight company making deliveries. He hates residential deliveries because folks expect him to deliver 500 lb items into their garage, or around the back to their shed. He can't back into most driveways without ruining the paving. Then the home owners want the company to pay for that damage. He has a lift gate and a pallet jack with small rollers that get screwed up if used on gravel. It is at the point that his company's local office calls the homeowner and warns them that delivery is only to the curb. He tells me that at least twice a month, an irate homeowner calls the company screaming about the fact that the package is blocking their driveway or wasn't delivered "down the back steps into the basement" A few years back, I ordered a farm implement that weighed 1400 lbs. The freight driver called me and I told him I had a loader to pick it off the trailer and set it on the ground. He parked on the road and I picked the item off the side of the trailer with the loader and a chain. The driver mentioned that he wished all his deliveries were that easy. Most home owners do not consider the logistics of the actual delivery when they order such items. They assume that the item will just magically float to their shop or garage. Their only experience with deliveries is appliances where the local appliance store has in home set up delivery.

I'm going to contact UPS Freight to make the same arrangements as Roger.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I'm going to contact UPS Freight to make the same arrangements as Roger.
    Smart move Ed. Also, doing it this way will allow you to get your trailer or pickup right back to your shop for unloading. I took mine in piece by piece, and assembled as I went. You will need some muscle to help you, unless you have a hoist or something. You will also need some items to clean the cosmoline protective grease off everything as well. I used blue shop towels, and mineral spirits. They clean well. I’ll say it again, you’re gonna love that 0800! It is built like a tank, and is precision machined, with advanced motor/inverter combo.

Thanks for all the feedback Roger and others.

It really depends on the local driver. My Grizzly jointer was off loaded on the street on a pallet jack. The driver pushed it into my shop some 80' down my gravel driveway, while a neighbor and I rotated sheets of 1/2' plywood for him to roll it on. When I tried to give him a $20 tip, he refused it. When my MM-16 delivered, same scenario but I finally convinced the driver to take the tip but it did require some effort on my part.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a G0766 lathe on order and my plan was to pick it up at the depot as well. But I have several pieces of equipment here so unloading it isn't a problem.