Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw tire question

I have had Sulphur Grove urethane tires on my 18" saw for 5 years, ever since I got it with dry rotted tires. They were a bit of a struggle to install but they have held up really well even though I saw brass as well as wood on this saw. I haven't tried other brands.

My original Sulphur Grove utrethane tires only lasted 16 years, so I tried another set from them. The Carter tires are junk, as they don't completely fill the width of the wheel. Check out "BlueMax" tires. The wheels on a Delta 14" is already crowned, so tires are just flat bands.

Your Carter tires are to thin. I went with the "blue max" ones mentioned above and couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Step one: throw away urethane tires

Step two: epoxy on epdm tires

Step three: true and crown

Urethane tires have a tendency to squish and move around.

I can get a BS that is 140 years old to track and cut like any new saw, your delta is capable of better than that.
    I have urethane on my 1960 Delta. Nothing wrong with them at all.
    I'm wondering if it's just a bad blade. It happens.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have urethane on my 1960 Delta. Nothing wrong with them at all.
    I've have urethane tires on my 18" Rikon for four years now. They work perfectly. Blade stays where I put it. They are so tight I had to get creative to get them on.

Aligned wheels, adjusted guides, sharp blade, proper tension, happy sawing.

JKJ

Thanks folks. I ordered thicker (1/8") tires and will let you know how they work out.

7. Yeah, I bought and took off the carter orange tires on my delta 14" band saw they didn't fit properly. I should have sent them back, but they are still hanging on the wall too many years later to consider returning them. They were thin enough that the lip stick up and a bit narrow for the groove. You could conceivably have run them if the wheels aligned so that the lip wasn't an issue, but I had problems with them with some blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Yeah, I bought and took off the carter orange tires on my delta 14" band saw they didn't fit properly. I should have sent them back, but they are still hanging on the wall too many years later to consider returning them. They were thin enough that the lip stick up and a bit narrow for the groove. You could conceivably have run them if the wheels aligned so that the lip wasn't an issue, but I had problems with them with some blades.
    I've only see Carter tires that were blue.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I've only see Carter tires that were blue.
    My mistake. Sorry, not Carter tires. I mistyped. I think they were the orange tires from Rockwell if memory serves correctly (it has been a few years and my memory is hazy on the purchase). I hope I didn't steer anyone wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Step two: epoxy on epdm tires
    Does epoxy allow you to replace the tires later?

Matt

While installing my new Sulphur grove tires I discovered the lip at the edge of the wheel is ~3/16", obviously thicker than the 1/8" replacement tire. BTW, my blue Carter tires are also 1/8" thick. Someone at Suplhur Grove mentioned that yes, the delta 28-203 (early '90's, US-made) did come with 3/16" wheel lips for a while. So I just spun up the lower wheel and ground down the front lip to a hair under 1/8", put the new tires on, and everything is as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    While installing my new Sulphur grove tires I discovered the lip at the edge of the wheel is ~3/16", obviously thicker than the 1/8" replacement tire. BTW, my blue Carter tires are also 1/8" thick. Someone at Suplhur Grove mentioned that yes, the delta 28-203 (early '90's, US-made) did come with 3/16" wheel lips for a while. So I just spun up the lower wheel and ground down the front lip to a hair under 1/8", put the new tires on, and everything is as it should be.
    You are a genius.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Great fix.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Does epoxy allow you to replace the tires later?

Matt
    Depends how long you keep the saw. A good set of tires, crowned and trued will last you decades.