Thread: ROS 6" vs 5"

ROS 6" vs 5"

I was on the market for a ROS in the next couple of days/week and went to HD and saw a few 5" Dewalt choices (one with variable speed one without) and a Ridgid 6". Also saw a Bosch at lowes. Does anyone have a preference on 6 vs 5 inch? 6 inch would be quicker, but I could see it being less convienent on smaller pieces.

I find my 5" Dewalt ROS (with variable speed) rather underwhelming. The sealed on/off switch is temperamental (turns itself off and needs a firm press to stay on) and the sander emits a high-pitched squeal annoying even with hearing protection.

Not sure if I got a lemon but a quick browse of Amazon reviews suggests these are common issues. Still, it gets the job done...just not sure if I'd buy it again.

It is probably easier to find sandpaper for the 5".

6" sanders are generally larger and heavier. They supplement a 5", especially for large surfaces, but you should have a 5" as a base. At least that's my opinion.

I have the PC 390K and like it quite a bit but it's a bit more expensive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If I only had one ROS it would be a 5". I have several 5" Porter Cables which all do the job fine, and one of the 390Ks that Mike mentoned which I really like. I will however be getting a Festool (the $170 one) when it comes time to replace them, I am not a Festool junkie but think t is one of their tools which I actually feel is worth the money, otherwise I recommend the basic PC for a budget choice.

Oh, I love easy Questions.

6" 6" 6"!!!!!

You may think an inch is not much, but using that Pie R Squared rule, the 5" has 19.6 square inches and the six inch has 28.25 square inches---almost 50% more area.

On large surfaces, the larger disk really shines as it is so much easier to sand things flat.

I'd look for the 6" that have the motor over the pad (such as bosch), rather than hanging out like a grinder (porter cable). This allows for easier one handed operation.

As far as availability of pads, thats not a problem. Order up 100 packs and be set for a long time. (I use 100,120,150,220)

-STeve

I have heard a lot of people like Bosch, but the Bosch 1295DVSK is pretty hard to find now it seems, amazon says they have one, but I called the company that it is shipping from and they say they are out of stock.

I like my P-C low profile 5", very easy to handle with it's lower center of gravity.

Thanks for posting this thread. I've got a Dewalt 5" that I'm pleased with. I can see where a 6" would come in handy for larger jobs. If I could only afford one right now, I think I'd still go with the 5" in your color of choice.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

+1 on the 6" sander. I started with the old school 5" Bosch sander back in the early 90's[ model 3823?] I then bought a Festool 6" in 2004. The extra size isn't a problem with regards to getting into tight spots, and you really start to like the extra amount of abrasive/sandpaper once you're working with it. I keep my old Bosch around for use as a car waxer/polisher using Griots Garage foam pads. The 6" sanders rule.