Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O1 blade for Lie Nielsen 102

O1 blade for Lie Nielsen 102

Hi all,

been a while since last time. Have been longing for a LN 102 Block plane for quite a while, but would prefer one with the old O1 blade, instead of the A2 one which is only offered now.

Anyone know of source that still have the O1blade? or plane with blade? Bonus points will be given for european dealers (live in Germany).

Second option would be fitting a non-LN blade. Are there options?

Wish you all a nice day,

Oskar

Oskar, contact David Eckert at The Toolworks (Google for this as I cannot link directly here). He is in Australia and used to run LN Australia. I have an O1 blade from him for my LN #103, but I fear that this was old stock and he may not have more. He does sell a blade which he believes is the same as the Veritas PM-V11, but this is his opinion and I have not used one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Or go with a Veritas apron plane? Same width/angle/weight and three metallurgical blade choices.

Check with Ron Hock at Hock Tools. I have one of his O-1 irons for my LN adjustable mouth block plane and it takes a great edge. Its worth an email to find out.

+1 on Hock blades if you can’t find a Lie Nielsen. Great products and a great guy to do business with.

Have several Hock carbon steel blades and they are excellent!

But, for such a small block plane, I would not rule out A2 (which I also dislike!). The blade is small and the plane does not get the intense amount of use that some of its bigger siblings do. Hence, A2 should work just fine, just taking a bit more effort to hone.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I second everything Tony says, plus it saves you having to buy the second blade. I too would prefer O-1 throughout and was lucky to acquire some L_N blades for bench planes while they were still making them.

Hock blades for me as well.
    Good hunting.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    If the blade is available from Ron Hock, you won't likely find anything better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hmm? Both my LN Blocks (60 1/2 & 102) have A2 irons and they seem to work well. They sharpen up real nice and hold an edge for a good long time.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have an O1 Hock iron in a block plane that replaced one that grew too short. I like the edge fine, but it's aggravating to have a square top end on a block plane. It probably wouldn't take that long to regrind the iron to a round shape, but that's not the kind of thing I spend time on.

Blog Entries
    I don't know the metallurgy, but I have had Hock irons and breakers in all of my hand planes for years.
    I hold them in high regard.

Thank you Derek! I will check with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Oskar, contact David Eckert at The Toolworks (Google for this as I cannot link directly here). He is in Australia and used to run LN Australia. I have an O1 blade from him for my LN #103, but I fear that this was old stock and he may not have more. He does sell a blade which he believes is the same as the Veritas PM-V11, but this is his opinion and I have not used one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks to all of you for answering!

I have written to Ron Hock about a blade, I agree with you that the Hock HC blades are good.

/Oskar

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Sedell View Post
    Thanks to all of you for answering!

I have written to Ron Hock about a blade, I agree with you that the Hock HC blades are good.

/Oskar

Another person that made superb O1 blades was Ray Isles. TFWW used to sell his blades, don't know if they still do. Regardless Ray has his own website. Besides Hock high carbon, I also have one of Ray's and they are also excellent.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.