View Poll Results: Do you twist your wires before using a wire nut?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 75.00%
  • No

12 25.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twist wires before using a wire nut?

Blog Entries

Twist wires before using a wire nut?

So, do you twist your wires together before using a wire nut? Some manufacturers say it isn't necessary.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    So, do you twist your wires together before using a wire nut? Some manufacturers say it isn't necessary.
    Absolutely. It’s a mechanical connection, held in place by the wire nut (which also insulates the connection.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    We have joked on the jobsite many times about what the wire nut manufacturers say and then follows the countless stories about tracing out an electrical problem only to find a wirenut twist the culprit.

IF, and that's a big IF, you can get sufficient purchase on two small wires that grab the wires enough to twist them as you would with lineman's sidecutters, then maybe that will be a good splice. But try to grab 3 or 4 #12 wires using a wire nut and properly twisting them.

The manufacturers need to drop this silly claim.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I just clicked "NO" because I was thinking about using a wire nut to twist wires. I can't change my vote but want everyone to know, at this point, the poll should be 3-0 in favor of twisting wires.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yes. I had a a neutral come loose in a junction box up in the attic.

Electrician had a heck of a time tracing it down, then schooled me about ALWAYS twisting before wire nutting, even if it’s just 2 wires.

On occasion I have soldered the twist before screwing the wire nut on. Extreme, huh?

I always make a pretty twist counter-clockwise. I have a pair of needle nose pliers that don't open without help. They are "clamped" onto the wires, and the ends are twisted together, then the ends clipped. That leaves the wire nut to mostly just protect the twisted wires from touching anything else.

Soldering is not recommended.

Interesting question, in Canada the electrical code stipulates that manufacturers installation instructions must be used.

In the case of Marrettes (wire nuts) all the manufacturers products I've purchased state not to twist the wires before installing the Marrette.

I don't twist the wires before insertion into the Marrette.............Rod.

I was told to always twist the wires before installing the wire nut, so I do. It makes sense to me.

Like Julie says, my electrician here in Vancouver (Canada) always twists the wires together. But then he’s old school, and values his claim free insurance and low call back reputation.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Interesting question, in Canada the electrical code stipulates that manufacturers installation instructions must be used.

In the case of Marrettes (wire nuts) all the manufacturers products I've purchased state not to twist the wires before installing the Marrette.

I don't twist the wires before insertion into the Marrette.............Rod.
    Rod, I'm a stickler for following the book, but sometimes you have to let common sense & experience take the driver's seat. For a couple of #14 wires, no problem. Just make sure the ends of the wire are all perfectly aligned & then twist it tight. If the wires don't end up twisted inside the wire nut, then it's not a good connections, period. Try doing it with 5 or 6 #12s. MUCH easier to twist first with linesman pliers, clip the ends flush, and then put on the wire nut.

BTW, I just checked the instructions for Marrette & Ideal wire nuts & both say to twist the wire nut on tightly, but don't forbid twisting the wires first. If the wires are not twisted after connection, then the wire nut was not twisted tightly enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I just clicked "NO" because I was thinking about using a wire nut to twist wires. I can't change my vote but want everyone to know, at this point, the poll should be 3-0 in favor of twisting wires.
    I agree, and for that reason, I didn't select either answer.

Either way, I always give each wire a good tug after tightening the wire nut.

Hi Folks,

A wire nut is a compression fitting that changes the shape of the wires to
    fill the gaps between them for extra contact area.
    Also corrosion is reduced since air has less access to copper.

Tony Z, for four~five wires in a wire nut, soldering the wires before running a wire nut down on them can
    be helpful for assuring all wires stay in the bundle, that one doesn't slip out.
    But soldering can introduce other issues.
    It takes a lot of heat to get four or five #12 copper wires hot. Do you have a really hot soldering iron?
    Do you have melted insulation issues?
    Soldering can embrittle wires right at the edge of the joint. This is probably
    not an issue in a residential outlet, but might be on a vibrating machine.
    For decades, most wire connections on airplanes have been compression, not solder.

Frank P, I use your twist and clip method for a bunch of wires.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Blog Entries
    Soldering is forbidden by code in some situations, like fire alarm connections.