Thread: Sourcing tools near Dallas - Fort Worth

Sourcing tools near Dallas - Fort Worth

Recently moved to the Dallas - Fort Worth area and want to get some tools, first of which will be a rip saw. Is there a ongoing flea market where one can usually find tools? What about the first monday thing in Canton?

Quote Originally Posted by John Uhlig View Post
    Recently moved to the Dallas - Fort Worth area and want to get some tools, first of which will be a rip saw. Is there a ongoing flea market where one can usually find tools? What about the first monday thing in Canton?
    I'd recommend Facebook Marketplace. I see tools in the DFW area all the time. Too far for me to go but it seems like the best market in Texas for used tools.

Blog Entries
    Hi John and welcome to the Creek.

I have looked through Craigslist and other online markets.

Your best bet may be to start talking to people. On my forays into the outside world one of my habits is to talk to the people in antique shops and junk shops. Especially at an antique mall. Often the people who have a booth in the shop also have things to sell. At times shops that do not have tools know of another that does.

Also look for events like tractor meets or such, they often have tables set up to sell items. Try searching > barn sale < via Google, Bing or any other search engine.

For $6 you can become a contributor here and have access to the Sawmill Creek Classifieds. You can place WTB ads (Want To Buy) for anything that can be shipped or is local to you. It also gives you an email account at SMC to correspond with others here.

ebay has always been a place to find tools but it has changed so much since my rampant accumulation days.

Another site that has provided many with lots of information is > http://www.supertool.com < Patrick's Blood and Gore (linked on the page) is a listing with descriptions of almost all the planes Stanley made. Another link on the page is > Old Tools < this will take you to a page to get on his monthly for sale list. I haven't purchased a tool from him of yet, but it is an invaluable source of information on various tools in monthly installments. His prices tend to be on the full retail side, he is not a flea market kind of guy, but the knowledge is free.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dowd's tools is awesome - http://www.dowdstools.com/

I've bought many things from Lynn when he was down in Austin over the years.

I’ll second Dowd’s.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution