Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The President Whom No One Voted For

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Gerald Ford. He was picked by President Nixon to replace VP Agnew, who had resigned. He became President when Nixon resigned.

Amazingly, I knew that.

In Canada we don't elect our Prime Minister, they're a member of parliament who is chosen by the party as Prime Minister. I have never lived in a riding that was the same as the PM so I haven't even voted for them as MP.

Of course being Canadian, we typically follow American politics due to that old saying about the elephant and the mouse.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I believe that would have been John Adams. Back then, the person who lost the race became the VP as I recall.
    Technically it was the person who came in second, as there were multiple parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Technically it was the person who came in second, as there were multiple parties.

Still, not shabby for someone who grew up in Europe. I'm pleased I remembered something
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Still, not shabby for someone who grew up in Europe. I'm pleased I remembered something
    Hi Mike, is it a requirement that the VP be born in the US?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.
    I don't think it's actually enumerated, however... since they would be in line for succession, I believe so.

I do have to say, not being able to be the President of the United States does take a huge amount of pressure off.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Ford was agood guy with a strange habit of bumping his head every time he got on the plane, or was it the 'copter.....
    or both. Some nut who worked for him decided the best way to handle it to not let the press pool see him board.
    I 'm guessing that genius went into J.C. Penney's store and asked to see a suit "like Liberace wears....but with more
    glitter".

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.
    Sure, constitutional requirement that the President be born in USA.
    And a spare tire needs to be "properly inflated" too

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I hadn't realized that until watching the (excellent) Hamilton musical not long ago. It's in the story-line. It's interesting how some processes have evolved over time. Power sharing constructs still exist in Great Britain and some of the "former colonies" when they form their governments after an election.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I hadn't realized that until watching the (excellent) Hamilton musical not long ago. It's in the story-line. It's interesting how some processes have evolved over time. Power sharing constructs still exist in Great Britain and some of the "former colonies" when they form their governments after an election.
    It's normal in most parliamentary democracies (which the US is NOT one of)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Something I stumbled on accidentally the other day while looking for funny stuff for the 'levity' thread:

A certain writer of children's books was also a prolific political cartoonist (I had no idea)-- ?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Of course all quiz questions can be answered via google.

And interesting the US went through eighteen times periods without a standing vice president! Some looks like long stretches'. I guess VP's were not that important back then.

James Madison from 1812-1813
    James Madison from 1814-1817
    Andrew Jackson from 1832-1833
    John Tyler from 1841-1845*
    Millard Fillmore from 1850-1853*
    Franklin Pierce from 1853-1857
    Andrew Johnson from 1865-1869*
    Ulysses S. Grant from 1875-1877
    Chester A. Arthur from 1881-1885*
    Grover Cleveland from 1885-1889
    William McKinley from 1899-1901
    Theodore Roosevelt from 1901-1905
    William H. Taft from 1912-1913
    Calvin Coolidge from 1923-1925
    Harry S. Truman from 1945-1949
    Lyndon B. Johnson from 1963-1965
    Richard Nixon from October 10 – December 6, 1973
    Gerald Ford from August 9 – December 19, 1974
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 10-22-2020 at 2:06 PM.

The story of Hamilton is interesting ,just needs some good music. The real story ,with the letters exchanged between them
    show the civil formality of dueling. Today killing is so uncivil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post

And interesting the US went through eighteen times periods without a standing vice president! Some looks like long stretches'. I guess VP's were not that important back then.
    There wasn't a method for replacing the VP until the 25th amendment. So that explains everything prior to 1967.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post

And interesting the US went through eighteen times periods without a standing vice president!
    Even a Vice President has to sit down sometimes. It’s a wonder anyone even takes the job, if that’s the standard. To quote Cactus Jack Garner (FDR’s first VP,) the Vice Presidency ain’t worth a warm bucket of spit. You can tell _he_ liked to sit down every now and then. As to whether he also had to sit down to pee, you’d have to consult the more unexpurgated histories of the time. FDR eventually replaced him, ostensibly for being irritable. I wonder why...

The vice president has to meet the qualifications to be president as far as age and citizenship.
    Technically the president does not have to be born a citizen. But since 1850 or so they have had to be born a citizen. The first presidents were obviously not born citizens of a country that did not yet exist. They have to be natural born citizens meaning born in what would become the USA. Today that means born as US citizens. As long as one parent is a citizen the baby is automatically born a citizen regardless of where they are born or where they grow up.
    I have no idea what happens if they reach below the vice president like to speaker of the house or president of the senate. Would they have to be a natural born citizen, what if they are not old enough. Do they get passed over or do they get the job regardless.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-22-2020 at 11:28 PM.