Thread: Veritas pocket square.

Veritas pocket square.

When ordering a replacement blade from Lee valley i needed something small to add to my order to qualify for free shipping. I saw the Veritas pocket square and added it to the cart without reading the description. When i think pocket square i was thinking something like 3".
    IMG_20200908_180031120.jpgIMG_20200908_180042128.jpg

Well, turns out its half that size. The thing is 1.5" including the lip.

But, i did a practice run on some double dovetails and this thing is great for that. It is far less clumsy than a traditional speed square or combination square. Im sure everyone has a different way of dovetailing but if you use a square in the process i highly recommend. It is way easier to control on thinner stock and smaller pieces.
    IMG_20200912_130841147_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I admit $9.50 is steep for a square this size, but if you compare it to a starrett or other high quality tools its not unreasonable. To me, this little square really improved my accuracy on my dovetails, so it was worth it.

So if you do a lot of smaller projects or use a square for dovetailing, this is now one of my favorites.

Amazing how well some of those little squares work. Woodpecker offered something similar but for $60

https://www.woodpeck.com/delve-square-2020.html

The veritas version has some similar features (such as the different base sizes) and is smaller and much less expensive. It is on my list of things to get with my next order.

Andrew,

That looks a lot like this Milwaukee trim square from home depot. I plan on getting one of these too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...Q040/310363529

I have never purchased a woodpeckers product. Im sure they are high quality, but they are just so expensive. Or at least the stuff i have looked at is expensive.
    Last edited by Jason Buresh; 09-17-2020 at 10:25 AM.

I bought the same square so the 5 small 3" crescent wrenches I have wouldn't be lonely.

I reluctantly took one home when it was first designed....not expecting much. It a favorite now....!

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Andrew,

That looks a lot like this Milwaukee trim square from home depot. I plan on getting one of these too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...Q040/310363529

I have never purchased a woodpeckers product. Im sure they are high quality, but they are just so expensive. Or at least the stuff i have looked at is expensive.
    Have one of the Milwaukee trim squares and love it. Use it a lot.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I bought one a few months back, for the purpose of checking edge tools for square. With the lip, it does that job beautifully.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I bought one a few months back, for the purpose of checking edge tools for square. With the lip, it does that job beautifully.
    I was wondering about that use specifically.

I love mine. As the OP said, it is very nimble. It is also ideal for squaring blades in honing guides and is genuinely handy.