Thread: Any hands on with Narex Richter chisels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I pulled the trigger and placed a order for the 1/8 chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I pulled the trigger and placed a order for the 1/8 chisel.
    I have that 1/8" Richter. It's fine and does what I need it to do. Let us know what you think after you get yours!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have not got a chance to use the new 1/8 chisel much yet.
    First impression are good. Took 4 to 5 minutes of work to flatten the back and put on a nice sharp edge.
    I like the balance and how light the handle is. Will have to give it some time to see how the edge holds up.

Sounds like Narex has figured out selling the sizzle is easier than selling the steak. The chisels have a more comfortable looking handle than some of the Narex chisels but it is made of Ash. Ash is a good wood, in fact some of my beloved Marples chisels have ash handles but Ash has its limits. Narex makes a chisel with a nice Hornbeam handle and a set of 4 is ~$60USD. Hornbeam is one of the few handles you can use a metal hammer on with no problem, Ash not so much. BTW, if you removed the 1" chisel from the 5 piece set the price is still well over $100 USD. I have serious doubts there is any difference in the steel of the chisels.

I have a set of Narex firmer chisels with the clunky Hornbeam handles I use to chop mortises. They are as ugly as sin but work great with using a metal hammer which is less fatiguing than using a softer headed hammer.

ken

I bought a 3/8" Richter, from Highland Hardware, earlier this year. It is nicely finished, with the back nearly flat, taking five or ten minutes to finish. The bevel was polished to razor sharp, easily paring pine end grain. I had four drawers I dovetailed last week, with half-blind on the front and through on the back. Front wood was cherry, rest was pine. The chisels worked well in the cherry, with good edge retention. I only use a "Wood is Good" mallet, and the handles were no less for the wear.

The big question, would I buy again? Yes, but only maybe a 5/8" size! The chisels are as good, if not better, than others in the price range of $35 each. They are very handome chisels, also!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Sounds like Narex has figured out selling the sizzle is easier than selling the steak...I have serious doubts there is any difference in the steel of the chisels.

ken
    RICHTER

• forged from high quality Cr-V steel
    • cryogenically treated and tempered to at least 62 HRc
    • fine ground and polished
    • ultra-thin sides for reaching into tight spaces
    • domestic ash hardwood
    • sanded and polished
    • solid stainless steel ferrule
    • leather washer

Bevel Edge Chisel PREMIUM

• forged from highly alloyed Cr-Mn steel
    • heat treated up to 59 HRc
    • fully ground and sharpened
    • thin sides for sidewall clearance
    • ergonomic with round cross-section
    • stained hornbeam wood
    • brass ferrule

I have the 1/8" Narex Richter. It is a fine little chisel but does not (mine at least) have tapered sides. Narex Richter vendors should make that clear to shoppers because a key publicity point about the Richter Narex chisels is the excellent tapered sides that they are said to have.

I would think the main purpose of flattening the back is to provide an opportunity to have a straight edge. Otherwise, one ends up with either a “bowed” edge side to side, or a cupped edge. Flattening more than necessary to accomplish that is unnecessary in my opinion. And, a half inch of “flat” would last most of us a long time.

I know the question is about the Richters, but I also have the premium Narex and they are excellent.

Left click my name for homepage link.