Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need table saw recommendations/advice

Need table saw recommendations/advice

I've been assembling a small, DIY home workshop, and I'm in the market for a table saw, and could really use some recommendations. My apologies in advance for a long post. For those patient enough to wade thru it and offer suggestions, many thanks.
    Selection criteria:
    Budget:
    Up to $1000. That being said, I'm not married to spending the full $1000. If a $500 saw can meet my needs, then by all means, that's what I'll spend. I don't need the Lexus of table saws, but I refuse to buy junk.
    Real estate/portablility:
    Like many others, I have a small area for my shop. It's a small, detached one car garage. I don't park my car in it, but it serves double duty as storage. I won't have the luxury of setting up my table saw in the middle of the garage and leaving it there. It needs to have a relatively small footprint and absolutely has to be on wheels to move it around.
    Bench top - Contractor - Hybrid - Cabinet:
    I don't think a bench top will meet my needs, and my budget and/or space restrictions leaves out a cabinet saw. That leaves either a contractor saw or hybrid saw. I like the idea of the hybrid because it eliminates the motor hanging off the back and tends to offer much better dust collection options (although my current dc system consists of a shop vac!) But with most hybrid saws, I will likely have to add around $100 for a mobile base.
    No mail order:
    I must be able to make the purchase in person, locally as I don't want to have something like a table saw delivered. This shouldn't be a problem, as I have several Lowe's stores, several Home Depot stores, a Rockler store, and a Woodcraft store within very short drives.
    Power:
    I really don't want to have to rewire for 220
    Misc:
    High quality fence and miter system
    Usage:
    This isn't a tool that will see everyday usage. Nor will I be tackling anything as intricate as building fine furniture. However, as I said, I refuse to buy junk, and I don't want to go with a cheaper saw now, only to find out 6 months from now that I should have spent a few hundred more and gotten better quality/features. I'll mostly be doing some home improvement projects, maybe building some new kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, etc.

Some of the saws I'm currently considering:
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18477
    Jet JPS 10" ProShop 1 3/4 HP 30" cast wing - $810
    (will need to add on a mobile base)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90156+500744
    Rigid 10 In. Cast Iron Table Saw Model TS3660 - $549

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18241
    DELTA 36-716 10'' Hybrid Saw w/30'' DELTA® UNIFENCE®, Rail and Table Board - $1000
    (would need to add on a mobile base)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18222
    DELTA 36-982 10" Left Tilt CONTRACTOR'S SAW® with 30" BIESEMEYER® Commercial Fence System and Table - $850

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19891
    Jet JWTS-10 1-1/2HP 10'' Workshop Tablesaw - $580

I'm open to other suggestions as well. At this point, I've been leaning toward the Jet Proshop hybrid, but I keep reading excellent reviews of the Rigid TS3660 and would hate to shell out a grand for the Jet if the Rigid would suit my needs for a little over half of that. I'd really appreciate some help from some more experienced folks.
    Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Craftsman 22124 is on sale right now for $899 with Craftsman Club membership. A real Bies fence, cabinet mounted trunnions, a Lietz blade, large paddle switch and other stuff that folks normally add to their new saw. A nice saw that will run 110 or 220. I run mine on a dedicated 110 and it has never complained about thick hardwoods.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn: I didn't have much money when I picked up my table saw. I got a 10" Craftman contractor saw and over the yrs. I upgraded it with a Vega fence and a Incra miter guage. I then built a roll around for it to set on and I can manuver it where ever I want it. When ever I set the fence for a cut it is right on the money. I'm very happy with it. All totaled I have around $400 in it.

Dave

Pick of the litter (your litter) is this one by a long shot:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18241
    DELTA 36-716 10'' Hybrid Saw w/30'' DELTA® UNIFENCE®, Rail and Table Board - $1000
    (would need to add on a mobile base)

Having said that, you would be better off considering some of the other hybrids and ditching the contractor style saw idea all together. Here are some noteworthys you didn't place in your post (given all of your requirements)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0478

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20304

and a great review you may have not read:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...HybridSaws.pdf

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Craftsman 22124 is on sale right now for $899 with Craftsman Club membership. A real Bies fence, cabinet mounted trunnions, a Lietz blade, large paddle switch and other stuff that folks normally add to their new saw. A nice saw that will run 110 or 220. I run mine on a dedicated 110 and it has never complained about thick hardwoods.

I have to agree with Gleen on this one. After reading your needs and wants in a tablesaw the 22124 sounds like the right saw. I have this saw and except for this saw not having casters to move it, it has received great reviews from many woodworking magazines. If you were to purchase this saw and still needed the ability to move saw around the shop, Woodcraft sells a great mobile base that will support 600lbs. for less than 50.00, the only thing you will need to supply is a piece of 3/4 inch plywood the same size as the footprint of the saw. If you need more info use search on SMC website and type in "22124" you will find alot of good info on this saw. Hope this helps.

there's a powermatic 66 on ebay right now for 999 buyout, looks to be a 80s model from the look of the cabinet.

has a 3 phase motor so you'd be looking at a few hundred extra to get a new motor, after selling off the old motor.

says it's in wilmore kansas.

used high end table saw > new low end table saw. always.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 07-17-2008 at 4:17 AM.

Have you ever noticed that you never see a thread that starts 'Problem with a 22124' ? I've had mine for 3 years and still don't know why they call it a hybrid. I cut the J-hook off of the splitter/guard and use it all the time. I forgot to mention that Sears delivers.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Scharle; 07-17-2008 at 7:48 AM.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but Emerson (Ridgid) built a contractor table saw for Craftsman. It's a nice saw. I think I may have overpaid a little for mine at $350, but it was purchased from someone who rolled it into their garage and might have used it once. It had the cast iron router table extension (needed an adapter kit to fit my router, another +/- $25). If you could find a similar (or better) deal, you could add an Incra table saw system and Miter 5000 and have a fantastic system for your budgeted amount. Plus all that stuff should migrate to a cabinet or hybrid when you upgrade later!

I think you're on the right track going with a standard full size cast iron stationary saw like a contractor saw, hybrid, or cabinet saw. All can be set on a mobile base and moved about easily, and all have sufficient power and table surface to handle most operations. It sounds like a hybrid will be your best bet given your druthers. A conventional contractor saw (like the Ridgid and Delta 982) will take up the most space due to the outboard motor location (no advantage with that location unless you need to remove the motor often), and a cabinet saw will require 220v...but note that a Grizzly 1023 is available just within budget and offers the most saw in your price range.

I've been the happy owner an Orion made Craftsman 22124 with the Biese fence for over 3 years. Very nice hybrid IMO, and it's cut everything I've thrown at it with relative ease. The cabinet mounted trunnions are easy to align, and add a bunch of mass...it weighs in at a very stable 425#. The Biese is a super fence. It's on sale to Craftsman Club members for $899 from 7/20 to 7/27.

I'm impressed with what I've seen and heard about the Jet Proshop too. The 708482k comes with solid cast wings and a nice fence for ~ $750. It does have table mounted trunnions but it also sports a one-piece arbor carriage and blade shroud. The Workshop saw is a step down...was a nice buy at $400 on sale but offers a lesser fence than the Proshop does and only offers the steel wings.

I see no advantage of the Delta hybrids over the Steel City/Craftsman cabinet mounted trunnion design from Orion, or the others with the one-piece arbor carriage design like the Jet, GI, Griz, and Woodtek...the Delta offers neither benefit, though it appears to be a nice saw nonetheless. Grizzly has a new G0661 saw that has a riving knife (I call it a hybrid due to its internal motor location) ...worth some consideration.

Things may get a bit confusing for a while with all the info you'll encounter, but take your time and note general differences. There are pros and cons to each. Any of these saws are capable of good service once aligned and equipped with a good blade. Look around and go with one that makes sense and that you like best.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-17-2008 at 9:51 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've been the happy owner an Orion made Craftsman 22124 with the Biese fence for over 3 years. Very nice hybrid IMO, and it's cut everything I've thrown at it with relative ease. The table mounted trunnions are easy to align, and add a bunch of mass...it weighs in at a very stable 425#. The Biese is a super fence. It's on sale to Craftsman Club members for $899 from 7/20 to 7/27.

On my version, the trunnions are mounted to the cabinet!
    Joe

I know you said you did not want to have a saw delivered, but for $995 this Grizzly saw is hard to beat. http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table...t-Tilt/G1023SL
    I have had this saw for a couple of years and it is fantastic. 3hp beats the smaller saws hands down. Put you a mobile base on it and it should do everything you can think of. Anyway, that my opinion. It is really a great saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I've been the happy owner an Orion made Craftsman 22124 with the Biese fence for over 3 years. Very nice hybrid IMO, and it's cut everything I've thrown at it with relative ease. The table mounted trunnions are easy to align, and add a bunch of mass...it weighs in at a very stable 425#. The Biese is a super fence. It's on sale to Craftsman Club members for $899 from 7/20 to 7/27.

On my version, the trunnions are mounted to the cabinet!
    Joe
    Right! Fixed the typo!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I just got the Jet Proshop with CI wings. The best price is on Amazon: $809 free shipping. If you open a card, you can get $30 off AND you'll get 2500 points for the purchase which'll give you a $25 gift card.

I haven't heard any bad things about this saw (or the Craftsman above). You won't go wrong. Either saw will be plenty powerful.

I love the Jet's fence. Like butter. Very accurate. The splitter is mounted through the blade guard. This makes removing it a little more difficult than rear, wingnut mounted guards. However, it makes it easy to align. Further, the guard flips up out of the way easily, so you don't have to remove it to change blades.

I like the blade brake which stops the blade upon turnoff in about 5 seconds.

There's a push button on the table that locks the arbor so you don't need 2 wrenches to change blades.

The dust port attaches to the back with handknobs, so it's easy to get in occasionally to inspect or clean out. The bottom of the cabinet isn't airtight, but that's easily solved in the shop.

I don't like the plastic tilt and height handles, but they're sturdy as far as plastic goes.

I almost got the Delta 36-716 but heard bad things about it.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Cool I know how you feel.. Go Ridgid!

I was in the same dilema last summer. I had a crafstman $200 table saw that just wasn't cutting it. ''sorry for the pun.'' I was looking locally which limited me alot so I was considering mail order if I could find free shipping. Ya no luck there. Anyways, I ended up picking the Ridgid TS3650 from HD. I did tons of reasearch! Definatly check out ridgid's website and there woodworking forums. Tons of info about this saw.

So, here are some of the things I love. Its heavy! around 350lbs or so. Very stable. I have no vibration when running the saw. The drive belt is not the normal v-belt but a ribbed belt much like what is used on higher end saws. The truinons are heavy duty and have small levers to adjust so u dont have to do the tap tap method. I have 0.00 runout at my arbor.

You have to love a lifetime warrenty!

The hurculine mobile base that comes built into the saw is awsome. one foot lever to push down and it glides easy. real easy.

The top is all cast iron, no cheap stamped steel extensions. there are cut outs in the top so u can use clamps on featherboards and such.

The motor does hang out the back but i built a short outfeed table on mine that goes over that anyways.

The fence is awsome! I bought one of the biesemeyer fences from lowes when they were $60 but after using the stock ridgid fence i sold the biesemeyer. i have a difference of only .001 deflection. It has built in t tracks so u can mount accessories or other fence faces to it. you an also position the rails wherever u want on the saw. so u can get up to a 50'' rip with the factory fence if u want to set it up that way.

The blade guard and splitter do take a bit to align but once dont they go on or off with a twist of a thumb screw.

As for power, I have cut through 12/4 hard maple and walnut with no loss in power. I use a nice freud ripping blade.

Overall I couldnt be happier a year later. sure I would love a cabinet saw but $ and space make that not an option.

Feel free to send me any PM's with questions I also have a thread posted about my saw. ''my ridgid ts3650 table saw'' in general woodworking.

If you do choose something else, try and get it off ebay and use the microsoft cash back. there is a thread in the deals and discounts section.

Brett G.

I had the Ridgid 3612 for years... the predecessor to the 3660. Outstanding saw except for the motor hanging out the back as normal with contractor saws - that motor takes a lot of room, especially when the saw is stored.

I now have a European combination machine (different league) but if I were downsizing, I would probably look for a hybrid for the reasons you note, but if a contractor saw, would absolutely do the Ridgid