Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using their TS as a workbench?

Anyone using their TS as a workbench?

I am really short on space. Sadly, I need my TS to do double duty as a work bench.

I have already put a router table into the left wing and made a fixture to clamp onto it to hold wood for biscuiting.

Any other clever ideas? What I would really like to do is make an overlay that would let me use it as a Festool MFT, but would settle for less.

I've used mine as a workbench more than I care to admit. My first real workbench (that's not a Workmate) is about a month or so from being completed. I've done a lot of hand routing and ROS sandinf on top of mine using a pair of Back-to-Back clamps with the bottom clamping portion hooked onto the TS top.
    Use the fence Luke

I think that by wording your question a bit differently, you would generate a much shorter thread. Change it to "Anyone not using their TS as a workbench?"

YM

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post
    I think that by wording your question a bit differently, you would generate a much shorter thread. Change it to "Anyone not using their TS as a workbench?"

YM
    Exactly!

Wade
    I keep 3/8" plywood on top of my tables saws when not in use. They are always being used as a big level surface for something, and not always woodworking related.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-09-2008 at 7:57 PM.

I have often contemplated removing my TS outfeed and outboard table in order to motivate myself to construct a proper work bench. Instead I have slowly been morphing my outfeed table into a quasi-work bench which becomes a problem when I have the table full and need to use the saw!

Of course any bench with a 500# iron anchor at one end is bound to be somewhat stable, and its a short walk from my saw to my favorite work table! It feels dirty to use it that way yet I still do.

Any horizontal place I can find becomes a workbench. Tablesaw included!
    One good turn deserves another

I just started using a piece of 1 inch ridgid insulation 4x8 sheet ($18.00)
    on top of my overly abused sawstop 52 inch table.
    Great for cutting down plywood with my festool ts55 and rails.

The absolute worst use of a table saw for a work bench that I have ever seen was in a middle school. System had done away with shop classes, and art department was using a PM 66 for a stand to do painting and paper mache. Saw looked like a flock of sea gulls roosted on it. Then puked in living color!

I usually have so much crap on my work bench that I need to use the table saw for a lot of things-including staining and varnishing. I do put a plastic piece over the table when I do it. I have such a limited space workshop that I have to do it this way.

The only time my table saw doesn't have something on it is just before I start cutting. It's a workbench, assembly table and a storage area. Certainly, this is less than optimal but so is my shop.

By the way, did you know Titebond II is a floor wax and a dessert topping?

I use mine as an auxilliary workbench also. I do most of my assembly on it, due to the lack of a dead flat surface on my main workbench. Glue scrapes up off the melamine extension table real well. I also put foam across the TS and workbench and cut down sheet stock with rails and circular saw. I put down some newspaper and finish the projects on the TS.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post

YM
    That would be me. I do have a gnarly particle board topped outfeed table, a rolling worktable and a workbench that all get abused. My TS is a TS and the occasional reference surface if I am checking for really flat.

Now, my old contractor saw; it was definitely a workbench. My rolling worktable was my first and last project built on the floor. It took over the floor and the TS's roles as workbench. I also don't stack grocery bags on the hood of the car while I fish for my keys.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Here is an excellent bench - sturdy, flat, portable, versatile:
    http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchhorse.html

It's not cheap, but it is well made and everything Gary Blum advertises it as. If you have no room, you could fold it up and open it up when you need it. This would also force you to keep things off of it .

Hi Wade,

I'm also designing a small shop (12x15) and would like to include a table saw with outfeed table if possible. I know I could make a fold-down outfeed table, but using the table saw space as an auxiliary workbench would be ideal. To that end, I came across this interesting idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s

I thought the concept of wheeling a large outfeed table over your table saw would be perfect in my situation. Keeps the footprint small and allows double-duty for the space when I'm not using the table saw.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    Hi Wade,

I'm also designing a small shop (12x15) and would like to include a table saw with outfeed table if possible. I know I could make a fold-down outfeed table, but using the table saw space as an auxiliary workbench would be ideal. To that end, I came across this interesting idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s

I thought the concept of wheeling a large outfeed table over your table saw would be perfect in my situation. Keeps the footprint small and allows double-duty for the space when I'm not using the table saw.

Dave
    That is a great idea, the only problem is I don't have the space to move the table to when I want to use the saw....