Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROS Suggestions

ROS Suggestions

My 1/4 sheet Sears sander is on it's last leg. Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'll be using it for finish sanding, fixing my glue up misteaks etc. Round or 1/4 sheet, dust collector or dust port (to vaccuum)? Variable speed? 5" or 6"? ARRGH.. Too many choices. I've sort of narrowed it to Rigid, Bosch or PC, but thats mostly based on color . TIA Gordy

I had a ros 6" Bosch (round) and loved it, can't say anything bad, it was a real workhorse and felt comfortable. I did how ever upgrade all my sanders to a festool sander $$$ but worth the coin they do a much better job and almost 100% dist collection.

Always get variable speed. and I much more prefer the round to 1/4 sheet uses paper much better. I would really suggest looking at a festool 150 or 125 it has variable speed and a curse and fine sand adjustment. Good for striping paint and glue also can be used to finish fine wood and buff your car. It is one sander that kind of does everything and takes the place of several.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 03-03-2008 at 7:55 PM.
    -=Jason=-

Bosch 1295DVSK - $70 to $80 refurbished at CPO Tools.

I bought this based on top reviews and have been very satisfied with its comfort and performance. I would recommend it. I look forward to getting the attachment to hook it up to a dust collector.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I also have a Bosch (not sure of the number) 5". A great tool. I have used it for years and would buy another.

Festool ES125 - 5" ROS. Works very well and lives up to the name and quality of "Festool".
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Festool ES125 - 5" ROS. Works very well and lives up to the name and quality of "Festool".
    Would that be the ETS 125 EQ ROS? Runs about $165? GA

I also got a Bosch 1295DVSK - refurbished at CPO Tools. I've been delighted with it.

Gordy...Check out the Festool ES 125 5" ROS. Its a really nice tool. Worth every penny. Minimal vibration, great dust collection, variable speed, great sandpaper options. I work in a basement where dust builds up quick if not collected and this machine saves my lungs. Its a fine machine worth a test drive.

Two ROS's Fit The Bill

I have the Makita 6' ROS which I use for larger projects (table tops, benches) and just bought the new DeWalt 5" for smaller boards.

The Makita is a large, heavy tool that is nicely balanced and is a real workhorse.

The DeWalt is very manageable, and is relatively quiet, too.

Hope this helps.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I bought a Festool 150/3 recently. I felt pretty guilty about it until I used it and was blown away with the dust collection and low vibration. Needless to say, I don't at all feel guilty anymore. I use a porter cable vac with it that I bought from Amazon.

I hate to sound like a broken record but the Festool 150/3 or ETS 125 are great products. It was hard to spend the initial cash but after you do you get spoiled real fast. I don't hardly pick up my old sanders anymore.

Good Luck

Alan

I use a Makita BO5021 - 5 inch variable speed and has a pistol grip for easier grip and control. Been very happy with it especially for what I paid for it new. Paid $40 on a store close-out. The store had one left new in the box (mini-gloat).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rufener View Post
    I also have a Bosch (not sure of the number) 5". A great tool. I have used it for years and would buy another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Conely View Post
    I also got a Bosch 1295DVSK - refurbished at CPO Tools. I've been delighted with it.
    One of the sanders they bought may be the one that Bosch bought back from me. After I used my 1295 just a few times the variable speed switch failed. It was repaired under warranty at a local Bosch contracted service provider. The repairman told me that he keeps the Bosch sander switches in stock because he replaces them often. I used the sander a couple of times after that and even hooked it up to a ShopVac to reduce dust just in case that was the cause for the failure. The sander failed again. When I returned the sander to Bosch I requested a refund which they honored and I bought a Festool RO 125. Wow, what a difference. Sure, the Bosch 1295 was good, but the Festool is a whole lot better. I'm now "sold" on Festool sanders.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Of the three brands that you listed, I would recommend the Bosch. I have had the Bosch 3725EVS for a few years and it has performed very well. No complaints at all on the Bosch.

However, even though you did not ask about the Festool, I have to agree with those above who say it is worth the high dollar price. I got the Festool RO 150 just last week, and the Festool is in another league.

Ros

Take a look at the Bosch 1250. I have several sanders but this is my "go to"