Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rationalization list

Rationalization list

Is there a post that lists all of the credible rationalizations for buying tools. I’m running low.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Is there a post that lists all of the credible rationalizations for buying tools. I’m running low.
    Your best source for rationalization would be your wife, your child, your financial advisor, and you can descend from there. Typically your own long term well being takes a back seat.

I assume you're related to David and Jerry Zucker

Here's a partial list:
    - It keeps you at home and out of mischief
    - It's cheaper than a boat / airplane / sports car
    - It makes you a better neighbor
    - "I'll make you furniture, honey"
    - Better investment than booze and drugs
    - Saves money on contractor service calls
    - Optimizes the vacant space in the basement

My arrangement with my wife is she buys designer boots and purses / I buy tools. Neither one asks "how much". Seems to work for us.

What does that word mean ?

That's easy. If you don't have one of any type, buy one.

Better and cheaper than golf as a hobby.

I’m not wasting my money on clothes!

I got a great deal and I saved $X00.00 by buying used.

I just sold XYZ tool so I had to replace it/have the money to spend.

First that came to my mind.

My favorite one is "It's a write-off" . Probably one of the best things about having your own business.

Life is short

I think the is one of the best: life is short.

9. The way I see it, with asset bubbles everywhere and even cash under attack by the world central banks and governments - each trying to debase their currencies faster than the others, investing in quality tools is the safest place to put your fiat currency. Other than maybe gold... but that's far too soft to cut wood with. Having said that, just don't spend money you don't have! Unless you want to use the argument that you are making a sacrifice to help stimulate the economy! But then you better buy Lie Nielsen or something made in the USA.

Cheers, Dom

If you're running low, you're not trying hard enough. Get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast and carpe instrumentum!

I had a customer many years ago who spent $10K on a combo machine, explaining to his wife that the new kitchen she wanted would be about $40K but that if he got our machine, not only would that save them money but that he could then do further work for her in the house. All in the garage, no mess inside, no contractors coming in and out, etc. She gave him the green light on the spot! Always thought that was a great rationale.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik is spot on.

When I built my kitchen for the old house 25 years ago, I spent $1800 on a new Unisaw. When the kitchen was done, we had spent $2800 less than the neighbor for the same kitchen size, and his was melamine boxes from the store, and mine was all oak with raised panels. We both installed our own, and counters were not counted.

PS: All the raised panel doors were done on a bench top router table, using a PC 690 router. My daughter now lives in that house, and the kitchen still looks great.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I had a customer many years ago who spent $10K on a combo machine, explaining to his wife that the new kitchen she wanted would be about $40K but that if he got our machine, not only would that save them money but that he could then do further work for her in the house. All in the garage, no mess inside, no contractors coming in and out, etc. She gave him the green light on the spot! Always thought that was a great rationale.

Erik
    Did you ever find out if he finished the job or is there still an open hole where a drawer needs to be made, three missing switch plates, and the undercabinet lighting only worked for a week? ;-)

Thank you for this thread, I ordered a Shaper back in April 2019 and paid for it back then.

Felder has been great is delaying the delivery. I've been putting it off for several months while I finish a large house project which has occupied most of the space in my garage/workshop.

I hadn't told the wife about this purchase, armed with lots of excuses and reasons from this thread, I got brave enough to do it this morning.....

Turned out to be a non event, he wasn't happy, but the discussion was over in 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Did you ever find out if he finished the job or is there still an open hole where a drawer needs to be made, three missing switch plates, and the undercabinet lighting only worked for a week? ;-)
    Damn, you must’ve walked in to my house.
    Armed with ambitious plans for a simple kitchen rearrangement, starting when my wife was 6 months pregnant was not a smart idea at all. 19 months later and #2 here within the last couple months, it realllly wasn’t a smart move 😬
    The kitchen is fully functional, just missing a few doors and a backsplash, so not a complete failure. Time; it’s a scarce thing