Thread: Plane recommendation for panels

Plane recommendation for panels

What hand plane would you recommend when working with various size glued up panels? Mostly hardwoods; table tops, furniture sides, etc... I had thought about getting a LN Low Angle Jack Plane.
    Would like to hear what you gents are using.

I would rather go for the LV LA Jack - it is a bit wider than the LN, and has more heft. Plus it has a depth stop for the mouth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Get an old stanley #5, a #7, and a #4 and go to town. You can probably find all 3 in user condition for under 75$ if you're patient. That's what I use, anyhow.

Old Stanley 7

I am looking for the 7, and I would LOVE to find one under $45.00! I don't have any antique sales, and have been looking at yard/garage/estate sales for months. Ebay is my only source, and their prices are going up.

Fives and fours can be had for a song, but I am not sure about the cost of the seven.

IF someone finds a deal on one that can be refurbished, let me know!

You must not be looking very hard on ebay because I've seen several end in the last few weeks for well under $45. You can't wait for the deals to come to you. Join the oldtools mailing list. On the first monday of the month the sale flyers go out and if Ed O has a #7 it'll be affordable. Where are you located that doesn't have any antiques?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lauchu View Post
    What hand plane would you recommend when working with various size glued up panels? Mostly hardwoods; table tops, furniture sides, etc... I had thought about getting a LN Low Angle Jack Plane.
    Would like to hear what you gents are using.
    If your purpose is to flatten (vs smooth) the panels, either the LN LA Jack (which I have and love) or the LV LA Jack will do a fine job. With either of these you can also smooth well enough for a light sandpapering final smooth.

Pam

Pam,
    What other uses do you have for the LN LA Jack? I have read on other forums that this is the "plane of choice" or "the first plane I grab." I like the idea of getting one plane that I could use predominately for flattening panelsb but may have other uses. Thanks

8. Juan,

I use the LV low-angle jack for almost everything. Flattening, jointing edges, shooting miters, you name it. It works great.

Their bevel-up smoother is also "amazing" (reversing grain, whatever; it doesn't matter). I recently got it, and don't know how I lived without it before. I basically don't have to sand anymore. Just finished a large table top (walnut with some really tricky spots). Flattened with the jack, smoothed with the bevel up. I gave a couple of gratuitous passes with a card scraper and sand paper just because I felt I should.

Between those two planes (and the LV block) I don't really use anything else. I have several others that are collecting dust.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lauchu View Post
    Pam,
    What other uses do you have for the LN LA Jack? I have read on other forums that this is the "plane of choice" or "the first plane I grab." I like the idea of getting one plane that I could use predominately for flattening panelsb but may have other uses. Thanks
    This is still my recommendation for anyone's first plane. It was the first metal one I was able to get to work, and it's so flexible, truly amazing. However, as I started using almost all wooden bench planes, I find don't need it so much anymore, its functions have been replaced by specialized planes like jointers, smoothers, etc.

I suspect this is just the natural process. I still have it, still use it now and then; but I'm thinking of selling it. Fortunately, LN planes sell for top dollar, so using it for several years shouldn't cost me much; and I've gained a wealth of experience and enjoyment.

Pam

Thanks Geoffrey. That's great information. I'm only really just getting started into hand planes. I'm still quasi power tools and hand tools. I don't have a shop full of power tools and I honestly don't want one. I started with a LN small block plane and really enjoyed using it. I wanted to get another plane and thought about what I would need to do mostly. Again, this has helped. As well as this forum. What a great wealth of information.
    Have a great day,
    Juan