Thread: Workbench router Table

Blog Entries

Workbench router Table

Every time I do any sort of batch work I wish for a second router table. I have become jealous of my new shop space and won't commit the real estate for a second, or larger, table. This solution is a blend of several other people's articles in the various mags. Only the highest quality "whatever was on hand" plywood was used as a substrate for the laminated MDF I was gifted from a store fixture demolition. The dogs are spaced to fit my workbench's dog hole pattern.

Workbench Router Table (9).jpg

Recess for the shop made plate for a Bosch Colt router.

Workbench Router Table (7).jpg

I made use of some funny washers that have been rattling around in the misc hardware can for a few years.

Workbench Router Table (15).jpg

And she ends up like so.

Workbench Router Table (17).jpg

I stole the idea for this support mechanism from a Fine Woodworking article by Paul Manning.
    Workbench Router Table (22).jpg

And now I can rabbet at one table . . .

Workbench Router Table (24).jpg

and chamfer at the other . . .

Workbench Router Table (25).jpg

I'm doing a boatload of picture frames and this really worked out well for batching out the blanks. It hangs here when not in use.

Workbench Router Table (23).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nicely done, Glenn. You've got me thinking.

Pretty great idea. So it's attached to the workbench with bolts through dog holes?

Blog Entries
    @Jack - Correct.

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, appearing in the background of one of your RT photos is an impressive looking clamp storage wall. If you don't mind, I'd love to see the whole clamp storage area. Thanks. Oh, and that's a nice router table, too.
    John

This is a really good idea...and it's true that there are times when having more than one table based router solution can make things a lot more efficient. It can be embedded as yours is or be a small, portable, benchtop router table setup. Nice execution! I really like that attachment method which can be used with many kinds of workbenches, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollaway View Post
    Glenn, appearing in the background of one of your RT photos is an impressive looking clamp storage wall. If you don't mind, I'd love to see the whole clamp storage area. Thanks. Oh, and that's a nice router table, too.
    John
    I second the motion, Glenn...would like to see some pictures of those "Clamp walls"
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Clamp storage as requested.

Pipe Clamps (5).jpgNew Shop at 7 mo (2).jpg

Like Jim's recent thread on his shop build I tracked my new shop progress and I think the clamp rack build is on there somewhere. Let me look . . . Hmm, maybe the old mind is slipping? Here's the general idea.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (17).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (22).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (2).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (13).jpg

These are all built from scrap and are fairly crude but effective. There is a hardened screw through the back and into the cross dowel for strength. A second screw below avoids any twisting force and glue is used. This version (ver 2) has been in use for many years without issue. The major benefit is the cleat wall which allows re-org as required. I've been a cleat wall guy for many years.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-16-2023 at 8:06 AM.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Clamp storage as requested.

Like Jim's recent thread on his shop build I tracked my new shop progress and I think the clamp rack build is on there somewhere. Let me look . . . Hmm, maybe the old mind is slipping? Here's the general idea.

These are all built from scrap and are fairly crude but effective. There is a hardened screw through the back and into the cross dowel for strength. A second screw below avoids any twisting force and glue is used. This version (ver 2) has been in use for many years without issue. The major benefit is the cleat wall which allows re-org as required. I've been a cleat wall guy for many years.
    THank you ....some good ideas there ....love cleats...very versatile... .
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”