Thread: Fiber Pricing Models

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hire a part timer, pay him cash just to un-package and re-package while all you do is run the job.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Hire a part timer, pay him cash just to un-package and re-package while all you do is run the job.
    If I have to.... Wife will most probably be that part timer. She's good for that.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    If I have to.... Wife will most probably be that part timer. She's good for that.
    Same here
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

quickie basic primer on variables for EZcad (the fast version)

First, put in your non variables, then your variables. Locate the variables where they'll be, just type anything as the name, it doesn't matter-- I just named mine 'names' and 'dates'. Also shown are the two notepads which will be my variable lists, I saved them in 'my documents' so I could find them easy..
    v1.jpg

Next, I click on the 'names' text, after it's hightlighted in the text box, check 'enable variable text'-- then the variables options menu pops up, click on 'ADD'--this opens the variables main menu. Many options, including reading directly from a serial port! That's past my pay grade, so I've checked the "FILE" selections, which opens the section to the right, giving you the option of TxT or Excel, TxT is the default-- to the right of the 'filename' window is a >>> button, I click that, and choose my "names" notepad. Note below that, you have 'Line No.' and 'Increment' choices, 1 and 1 simply means you'll start at line 1 and it'll move in 1 line increments. All this is adjustable if need be. Sometimes one will mess up and you need to stop to start over; just enter the line number you want to start with and it'll restart the job from there (finding the line # sometimes requires a little hunting and pecking in large files.)
    also note the "read all files", this will print the entire variable list on-screen, which I'll get to in a sec--
    Anyway, click OK when done here...
    v2.jpg

So my 'names' variable is in place, it's on screen, and in the grayed text box. And note in the variables option box is my list file.
    Now, repeat the procedure to get the dates list in place; click on the 'dates' text, ADD, click 'file', pick the 'dates' notepad file, OK..
    v3.jpg

This screen shows the 'read all lines' option- it clusters it up with the other text but oh well-
    NOW, to access the main variables menu, first you must click on the filename in the box to highlight it, then hit "MODIFY"- nothing will happen if you don't highlight the filename.. this is because you can ADD another variable to the original variable, which will be added to the same line, useful if you have several variables in the same line you don't want in 'column' format. But if you want each variable in a specific place, then use separate variables like I just did...
    I've never gotten into the DELETE, PREV and NEXT buttons yet, I just know DON'T hit DELETE! or you have to re-do the variable
    v4.jpg

The neat thing is the next variables to engrave will be on-screen to verify before hitting the dreaded start button. All hatch fills and such apply to all variables...

Hope this helps! The basic variable routine is pretty easy once you get the hang of it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Pricing - the age old question. A lot of good advice above.
    Personally I shoot for the $100/hr target, but am not afraid to shoot for the stars. I have some industrial work that pays as high as $800/hr (great money, but low volume). I locked one customer into a long term contract by reducing their usual $600/hr charge down to $500/hr. That was a massive savings for them. HOWEVER, you WILL scare a few customers away at that pricing, so pay close attention to both verbal and body cues. I've had on occasion quoted high, could read that was going to be an issue and instantly offered a "discount" if they provide slightly higher volume.
    I also do some work at $25-$50/hr rate for some older/original customers.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Pricing - the age old question. A lot of good advice above.
    Personally I shoot for the $100/hr target, but am not afraid to shoot for the stars. I have some industrial work that pays as high as $800/hr (great money, but low volume). I locked one customer into a long term contract by reducing their usual $600/hr charge down to $500/hr. That was a massive savings for them. HOWEVER, you WILL scare a few customers away at that pricing, so pay close attention to both verbal and body cues. I've had on occasion quoted high, could read that was going to be an issue and instantly offered a "discount" if they provide slightly higher volume.
    I also do some work at $25-$50/hr rate for some older/original customers.
    Good feedback Tim. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't know if I'll even get a chance to quote, they found a couple of other guys around here that they are looking at also. I need the work, but I'm not doing it for $20 an hour I've really got to see the true variety of the things they want to engrave to give them a final price. Volume is going to be low for a good while, so I really don't want to set up and do $10 at a time if I can help it.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others