Thread: Looking for model number and manual for old Rockwell Delta 14" band saw

Looking for model number and manual for old Rockwell Delta 14" band saw

Hi

i picked up a Delta 14" band saw with the riser block at a garage sale for one of my sons. I've repainted the base and rewired the motor (def not OEM motor). I'd like to find out the model number and manual for this unit. The name plate says 103-3418 and it was made in Milwaukee Wisc.

This unit has the open frame for the saw wit the motor mounting directly below the saw in the frame.

Any help would be appreciated.

band_saw_2.jpg
    band_saw_1.jpg
    band_saw_3.jpg

best

'mark

Definitely not the OEM motor. OEM motor had dual shafts, meaning one stuck out of each end bell. Unused end was cover with a shield, commonly referred to as a condom. Best I can remember, serial # is the model number. Meaning it's a model 103, serial #1418. It's been a while, so I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mark ahlenius View Post
    Hi

i picked up a Delta 14" band saw with the riser block at a garage sale for one of my sons. I've repainted the base and rewired the motor (def not OEM motor). I'd like to find out the model number and manual for this unit. The name plate says 103-3418 and it was made in Milwaukee Wisc.

This unit has the open frame for the saw wit the motor mounting directly below the saw in the frame.

Any help would be appreciated.

band_saw_2.jpg
    band_saw_1.jpg
    band_saw_3.jpg

best

'mark
    Serial puts it in 1952 (http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Del...alNumbers.ashx)

Decent guess on model number would be 28-207(http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=6315)

But really the old Delta 14" went by a variety of different model numbers, with many interchangeable parts so knowing the exact model isn't necessary (aside from curiosity).

That model didn't change much over its history. Pretty much any manual for that style saw would work. I have the Pentair era version of that saw (1996) and it is almost identical other than having a round bar with a groove for the upper guide rather than a piece of hex stock.

The 14" Delta is a very nice bandsaw.

Thanks Bruce, yes agree on the motor. This one is a GE and the older Delta units had Delta motorrs

'mark

Thank you Patrick, appreciate the info!

'mark

Thanks Andrew. Yes, am hoping my son gets a lot of use out of it.

Some of the models I have seen online have an oblong v-belt cover which would make it a bit safer to work around (imho). I'll start looking online to see if I can find one.

Also - where do you folks find the same color paint as the old Delta Rockwell grey?

'mark

Some of the models I have seen online have an oblong v-belt cover which would make it a bit safer to work around (imho). I'll start looking online to see if I can find one.

Also - where do you folks find the same color paint as the old Delta Rockwell grey?

'mark
    Apparently Rust-Oleum Professional Light Machine Gray is pretty close, per threads on OWWM.

I'm in the middle of a restore myself, and I couldn't get my hands on a quart/gallon of it (I'm using an HVLP sprayer) so I'm using something different.

There are also some color matches out there for Sherwin Williams/Ben Moore (http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/PaintColorsDelta.ashx)

If you're fixing up the saw, I'd highly recommend reaching out to Iturra Designs for a catalog. Louis sells a bunch of replacement/upgraded parts for bandsaws, particularly those old Delta models. Probably a good idea to at least replace the tensions spring.

If you're looking for the belt guard, it's technically Delta Cat. No. 883.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 05-15-2021 at 12:36 PM.

'mark
    I made a wooden belt guard for mine. Mostly because I made a enclosed wooden mobile base for mine. The reason for the new base was that I wanted to change the height of the table. It was so long ago, I honestly don't remember whether I raised it or lowered it. Whichever it was, I liked it better