Thread: Brief Review: Wood River #1 Hand Plane

Brief Review: Wood River #1 Hand Plane

Ok, so laugh - I had the $120 and I just kept thinking how much I wanted to try that WR #1. (I mean, its not like Ill ever get to try a vintage #1. ) Anyway, mine arrived unusually fast and I spent an hour setting it up and trying it out. Heres my initial thoughts.

Fit-finish. Pretty good right out of the box, much like the WR #3 I reviewed last year. Needed little except to remove a bur from the chipbreaker. I also polished the chipbreaker for 1/4" behind its front edge. Dont know if that helps in such a small plane but I did so. I sharpened the blade - back was "pretty" flat and needed just a bit of work. Came with a 25* bevel that I honed and then added a 2* microbevel.

Size. Almost exactly the same as my LN 102 block. Same width, just 1/4" longer. Which initially made me wonder why I needed both, frankly. I considered sending it back, until I tried it out a bit.

First trial. I took a few passes down the edge of a 2x4. Got nice, thin full width shavings. Then I tried to flatten the rough edge of a 3/8" thick box part. First I used the 102 block plane on it - that went ok. But when I tried the #1, it felt noticably better - more stable - on this small, narrow part. After thinking about it, I concluded that using 2 hands on the #1 made the difference - as opposed to 1 hand on the block plane. (I played with the #1 until I found a comfortable way to use both hands on it.) I also used it on the face of the small box part - that was fine and comfortable.

Summary. I like the tool, based on just this little bit of playing with it. I think Im going to keep it - it does seem to work well on small parts, as Id hoped. Do I NEED a #1? Heck no - I could have trimmed this edge a couple different ways without it. But I bet Ill find other ways to use it over time. And if not, itll make a great paperweight. Mr. Cottingham, you were ever so right Sir! (See signature line.)

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-14-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have to admit to having a WR #1 on its way. Too cute for words and like you if it doesn't work it will make a great paper weight.

BTW, my excuse was it should be a block plane with a double iron and everyone needs a double iron block plane....amiright.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    everyone needs...double iron ......amiright.
    Double irons are like martha white flour...(1:22 in this video)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Double irons are like martha white flour...(1:22 in this video)
    Goooooodness!...followed by music to match. Why can't commercials be like that anymore? I could never justify the cost of a LN #1 , but this may be a possibility if only to sit on my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    Goooooodness!...followed by music to match. Why can't commercials be like that anymore? I could never justify the cost of a LN #1 , but this may be a possibility if only to sit on my desk.
    It helps to have tool items on your desk. Elicits conversations about tool related items and projects and occasionally results in people bringing you items. In my case, over the past decade (just to name a few) I got a Stanley 18-1/4 block plane and a 3" wide slick, among a number of items better described as far less desirable.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.