Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Overarm Dust Collector?

Quote Originally Posted by joseph f merz View Post
    iwould think there are better ones .
    I wish there were. When it comes to commercial above the table dust collection, I have not seen any one that is as good as the SawStop dust collection blade guard. I am talking about dust collection effectiveness, ease of use and degree of obstruction. If anyone who knows a better product, please share.

This (non-commercial) one is probably better than SS's dust collection blade for effectiveness, but obviously it is too bulky for any cabinet saw:

https://youtu.be/jmYk6jR2Mw8?t=1m50s

Instead of magnet sheets, the stache can be used to cover the front opening of a cabinet saw, according to the video producer.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-23-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Simon, this morning I tried your suggestion about the cardboard over the big slot in front. Just going by feel, so not very scientific, the difference isn't noticeable to me.

I think it boils down to what I said earlier. Air follows the path of least resistance, ie., that larger 4" port. I may go ahead and get some magnetic sheeting, though, depending on what SawStop says about motor cooling. Every little bit helps, I suppose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    http://www.rockler.com/sawstop-indus...-230v-36-fence

The opening on the front allows the arbor assembly to tilt so you can make bevel cuts. Cut a magnet sheet or two to cover all the openings.

Simon
    I do the same but, let's qualify "all openings". You need to have return air in order to get air flow. There seems to be plenty of other places for air to get in with the 'tilt-slot' generally covered with a piece of sheet magnet. Sometimes I forget to put it back after making a bevel cut and I do notice..

As to the performance of the overarm in general. The 3HP PCS method of tapping the overarm into the lower cabinet duct supplies sub-optimal suction. I credit the good design of the hood that it works as well as it does. I will now contradict myself and say that although the overarm collection is much improved if a better path to the DC is used, I find the bother of running something like a shop vac in addition to simply opening the tablesaw gate more than I am willing to do regularly. If I have a lot of ripping to do I will swing the overarm hose to a vac or a more direct port on the DC. I got it free when I bought the saw and am glad to have it; I just wanted to share my experience having used it for a few years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I find the bother of running something like a shop vac in addition to simply opening the tablesaw gate more than I am willing to do regularly.
    I'd agree so, if yours is not a standalone system like the one I saw in which the woodworker used a 1Hp or 1.75 HP dc for the 4" port and a small vac (probably 5 gallon) for the overarm. He uses an auto switch and so when he turns on the saw, both the dc and the shop vac come on as well. He also uses the overarm to clean his table saw after a job, so that is an extended arm of his shop vac!

By the way, if a central dc system with ports/gates is used, even a 5Hp dc can be struggling, depending on the run of ducts etc. I have seen youtube videos in which woodworkers use a shop vac or Festool CT as the source of suction for a central dust collection system. That is just better than nothing if you ask me, and I bet they are still breathing lots of dust they can't see in their shops.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I have my guard connected to the dust collector with a flex from an overhead duct and it works extremely well. I've not tried the factory duct, but can't help but think that it would be too restrictive to do as good a job.

I would be happy to sell you my Sawstop guard/dust collection system. PM me if interested. bob

For anyone wondering, I received the following response from SawStop about plugging the various holes on the cabinet:

"We would not recommend to "plug" any holes because that could possibly cause the motor to run much hotter."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    For anyone wondering, I received the following response from SawStop about plugging the various holes on the cabinet:

"We would not recommend to "plug" any holes because that could possibly cause the motor to run much hotter."
    Thanks for sharing that, Nick.

We are moving the magnet sheets a bit to leave a small opening as a precaution.

Simon

To each his own. Since I couldn't feel any difference at the overarm port with the tilt slot blocked, I'll stick with their recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I have my guard connected to the dust collector with a flex from an overhead duct and it works extremely well. I've not tried the factory duct, but can't help but think that it would be too restrictive to do as good a job.
    I don't have a SawStop however that's exactly how I connect my overhead guard for dust collection..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I don't have a SawStop however that's exactly how I connect my overhead guard for dust collection..........Rod.
    Such an overhead set-up with a direct hook up from a shop vac or duct collection to the blade guard should work as well as or even slightly better than hooking up a shop vac through the overarm tube. However, there is one big difference between the former and the latter set-ups: mobility. The set-up I saw of hooking a shop vac to the overarm tube allows the tablesaw to be moved around without constraints, which seems essential for that woodworker.

Simon

The overhead guard that looks like the Excaliber design and uses a 4" hose is meant for a dust collector. The smaller guard with the 2" hose is meant for a shop vac. A dust collector is a high cfm but low pressure unit. It won't pull much cfm through a small hose unless the collector runs a large 15+" diameter impeller and even then the design of the blades may further limit the air movement. If you branch a DC into a port below the saw and try to also run a 2" hose to the overhead, the results will be poor at the overhead as the impeller will pull air from the larger port until the static pressure is equal to that of the small port. If you run two 4" ports into a table saw, you need a larger DC, mainly because the restrictions of the guard on top and the blade shroud on the bottom further restrict the cfm and increase the pressure. The larger DC is needed to pull the air than for instance a shaper with a hood and machine port of similar size. There are fewer design restrictions in a shaper than a table saw. A shop vac has a low cfm but high pressure impeller so it works better with a small hose and small guard. The larger guard and hose is the better choice though. Low cfm leaves a large dust envelope around the machine and the small port does not pull the cloud into the collector fast enough to avoid your lungs. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The overhead guard that looks like the Excaliber design Dave
    SawStop owners: Don't get that recently released floating overarm thing. We had used the Excaliber thing on the ICS for many many years until the overarm dust collection blade guard system came out. The latter outperforms the floating arm system in so many aspects including ease of use, effectiveness, safety protection, and price. The floating overarm is darn heavy to use as compared to the dust collection blade guard.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Such an overhead set-up with a direct hook up from a shop vac or duct collection to the blade guard should work as well as or even slightly better than hooking up a shop vac through the overarm tube. However, there is one big difference between the former and the latter set-ups: mobility. The set-up I saw of hooking a shop vac to the overarm tube allows the tablesaw to be moved around without constraints, which seems essential for that woodworker.

Simon
    Sadly, my shop is taken over by 2 cars every night, so I too have mobility needs. I've got a spot where the TS is parked most of the time & just has to be moved a couple of feet to be useful. There is a secondary location ducted for when I have to handle big/long stock. From either place the flex allows the saw to be moved a couple of feet in any direction.

I considered the over arm duct, but for reasons I've already mentioned and because I've got a router table in the right extension, I went overhead. It was quite a bit cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    From either place the flex allows the saw to be moved a couple of feet in any direction.
    A good alternative if the amount of movement needed is limited. Another alternative to the overarm tube is two overhead hoses located apart for use with the saw when it is moved away from its usual spot.

Simon