Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help With Alcohol...

Coleman fuel and its like is mainly naphtha. It is a good paint thinner but not for shellac. I get mine at walmart house brand for about $8.00 per gallon which is cheaper then paint thiner.
    Bil lD.

I just received an order of two gallons of isopropyl alcohol and I have a few gallons from Home Depot. It looks like now the Isopropyl is out of stock, which I did not expect since last I heard there is a ton of alcohol being made but they do not have things such as containers (and similar) to put it in or the chemicals to thicken the hand sanitizer.

Alcohol must be shipped by ground. I just shipped some hand sanitizer and I had to ship by ground because it is flammable.

So they no longer allow Alcohol in California?

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nd-Substitutes

Think of it as just another tax. Why ban Denatured alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Check amazon, Cleanstrip Green alcohol. it is ethanol (grain alcohol) vs methanol (petroleum based) with an additive to stop being able to drink it. To make it "denatured". It is much like everclear but not able to be consumed. I checked amazon for 94132. and it is in stock @17.40 QT ! and deliverable to San Fran by may 7th.....By truck.....Look into it. Also the green alcohol might be available locally from an ACE hardware store. I have not personally used it but if could get some and try. Ethanol is also sold as "stove fuel"..just check the labels for the additives..they should be less than 5% to work with shellac...That's what I would do.....just say'n......
    So isn't the "green alcohol" with additive just as toxic and harmful as regular denatured alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Also, I have heard that camping fuel can be used to dissolve shellac, but I've never tried it, and maybe it depends on the brand of fuel.
    Coleman stove fuel is mostly naphtha. Alcohol stoves are available for camping so if you can get some fuel for those, it might work.

I use a small amount of alcohol for shellac and still have about a half gallon. I looked at HD and none available right now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Not available...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So isn't the "green alcohol" with additive just as toxic and harmful as regular denatured alcohol?
    This was discussed here awhile ago. IIRC- someone pulled up the SDS for the two Cleanstrip alcohols and the green was a higher percentage of ethanol, so healthier. Not healthy.

I don't believe BEHKOL is available anymore. I concur with the Everclear recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I just received an order of two gallons of isopropyl alcohol and I have a few gallons from Home Depot. It looks like now the Isopropyl is out of stock, which I did not expect since last I heard there is a ton of alcohol being made but they do not have things such as containers (and similar) to put it in or the chemicals to thicken the hand sanitizer.

Alcohol must be shipped by ground. I just shipped some hand sanitizer and I had to ship by ground because it is flammable.

So they no longer allow Alcohol in California?

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nd-Substitutes

Think of it as just another tax. Why ban Denatured alcohol?
    Aloe Vera Gel is what is mixed with it to make hand sanitizer. That is a rare as Isopropyl alcohol right now.

Only 50-50 rubbing alcohol in California unless you opt for food grade alcohol which is very pricey, but not much more than a good film finish. You’ll find it at food suppliers and chemical suppliers.

I’ve switched to water based finishes and the General brand is excellent, with no drips, runs, and is very fast drying. I can lay on several coats a day and being water based is tintable.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Only 50-50 rubbing alcohol in California unless you opt for food grade alcohol which is very pricey, but not much more than a good film finish. You’ll find it at food suppliers and chemical suppliers.

I’ve switched to water based finishes and the General brand is excellent, with no drips, runs, and is very fast drying. I can lay on several coats a day and being water based is tintable.
    What does one do with 50-50 rubbing alcohol? I use 70% to disinfect before I poke myself because it is cheaper than the alcohol wipes (unless I am going on vacation, then I bring the little prepackaged wipes).

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable.”
    Good to see you've made that first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford Imhoff View Post
    I don't believe BEHKOL is available anymore. I concur with the Everclear recommendation.
    Sanford, Looks like you are right, thanks for info. Gotta wonder about what business deals were made along the line.
    I won't be using any more shellac, never was a big user.

Stainless beer keg and some plumbing fittings will get you some ethanol, but not above the 95% mentioned already.

So I've been told. Seriously. I aint ambitious, or thirsty enough. Yet.

Might not want to use any copper on the outlets though. Some small chance you could use that as a defense in court. as the copper is there to snatch the sulfur compounds out that make it taste nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Ok...I need an education here as to what's the difference between Denatured Alcohol and Everclear. I use it for cleaning clock and knife parts and occasional, for finishes.

I think lacquer thinner would be fine for cleaning clock parts, knife parts, de-greasing, etc. Should be available at Walmart, auto paint store, etc.
    David