Thread: HVAC Adjustments

HVAC Adjustments

Last year we installed an electric air filter and a humidifier on our furnace to help with allergy and asthma. They worked really well keeping the air quality of our home good during the winter. In the summer we turn them off since we have windows and outside air coming in. Now it's fall and while we haven't run the furnace for heat much yet I think it's time to turn those units both back on since the doors and windows are closed pretty much all the time. We're due for a killing frost this weekend. I'd appreciate feedback from those of you that live in the northern states on how you handle things like this. Thanks so much.

Get out the manuals and check U-tube for instructional videos on cleaning and servicing both units. I’m not totally up to date on “electric” (electronic or electrostatic) air filters, nor do I know if they are MERV rated as standard air filters are today. As this is your first full season with this equipment I’d suggest that you have a monthly inspection of it so you get a sense of how often it really needs tending to.

Triggers for stories. Your inquiry, Dave, immediately put me back to a service call in CT on a furnace line I represented back in the mid80’s. This very wealthy elderly lady was unhappy with the system and I would go out on theses calls to support the contractor. When we got there the lady was fairly, umm,not very pleasant. As she walked in the house she was followed by her entourage, a fleet of white very long haired and well groomed Shih-Tzu’s. We go down in the hole (basement) and I ran a few checks on the furnace and everything looks good, but little air flow. Well, lets check that Honeywell electronic air cleaner. We pulled it and there was almost an inch of white dog hair. The lady of the house was not at all happy having to come into her basement. Upon her arrival I peeled the dog hair off her filter, put it back and what do you know, it was warm. She absolutely did not want to believe it her unhappiness could in any way be affect by her dogs and wanted a new furnace. I loved my job.
    Last edited by Jack Frederick; 10-07-2022 at 9:44 AM.

Change the air filter, you are using a 4 inch pleated one with at least a MERV11 rating, check blower bearings oil if it has oil cups most modern ones do not as they are ball bearing. Check and clean the drain line for the condensate for the furnace and its a modern 95% efficient correct? Make sure the intake and exhaust pipes are clear. Test fire the furnace before its needed. Change the pad in the humidifier, I don't have one and never will.
    Modern furnaces do not get the air past 120 degrees and don't cook the humidity out like the old ones that ran 140 degree plus.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thank you Jack. Since my wife and I are older we're having more and more maintenance done by professionals. While it's more expensive we rest much better knowing things are in good shape. To that end, we have a yearly maintenance contract with a local HVAC company that comes once per year and inspects everything as well as does a water sample and inspection of our reverse osmosis system. Also with the contract if we have an emergency we're the first one to get service. We have them do the annual maintenance in June so they change the air filter and inspect the humidifier after a winter's worth of use. That way we know we're in good shape for the following winter.

I too pay for an annual inspection and maintenance of our HVAC. And being on first call for service is a darn good reason, since everyone's system breaks down at the same time. Our forced air heat has always dropped the humidity down in the winter to below comfort standards, even the new one. Itching skin and static electricity are signs to me to check the humidifier setting. The humidifier filter (Aprilaire) will become almost a solid block of calcium over the course of one season.
    < insert spurious quote here >

The air filter should be minimal. The humidifier make sure you follow the instructions. They work by boiling off water and that leaves whatever was in the water you will likely see corrosion of ferrous duct. and internally to the humidifier chamber and the parts after it. I for the life of me havent figured out why they havent created a unit that backwashes itself.

Most new modern built homes and some that are older but well sealed, have too much humidity. You need to get an accurate meter to check before dumping in more moisture. Some building Codes today require air to air heat exchangers to bring in outside fresh air, some are required to have CO2 detectors to activate and bring in fresh air.

Some humidifiers are self flushing and have a lot less lime build up. I don't use a humidifier as I have a fairly well sealed older house and high efficiency furnace that never gets the air temp above 120 F. To much humidity can cause mold and other issues in your home, 30 - 40% is best.

CO2 in buildings https://www.airthings.com/business/r...xide-buildings
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    ...The humidifier filter (Aprilaire) will become almost a solid block of calcium over the course of one season.
    You must have really hard water. I get 3-4 years out of my humidifier pads.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Last year we installed an electric air filter and a humidifier on our furnace to help with allergy and asthma. They worked really well keeping the air quality of our home good during the winter. In the summer we turn them off since we have windows and outside air coming in. Now it's fall and while we haven't run the furnace for heat much yet I think it's time to turn those units both back on since the doors and windows are closed pretty much all the time. We're due for a killing frost this weekend. I'd appreciate feedback from those of you that live in the northern states on how you handle things like this. Thanks so much.
    As soon as the heat comes on in the Fall, which my wife decides and was yesterday.... I redirect the air flow to run through the humidifier because dry heated air really messes up my sinuses. We've also been having a really dry spell so the air could use some moisture. I have the humidity setting on the unit at about 35%.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    ... that comes once per year and inspects everything as well as does a water sample and inspection of our reverse osmosis system.
    Your Reverse Osmosis membrane may or may not need replacing. Easily tested. But the prefilter cartridge certainly should be replaced, and very likely your activated charcoal filter too on that. These definitely don't last a year, and they protect the more expensive Reverse Osmosis membrane. I replaced mine far more frequently than that as water tests showed it was time. Nice having RO water, BTW.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.