Thread: Chairs

Chairs

Latest build project delivered to Cousin and his wife yesterday. Swivel/glider/rocker made with Cypress and a fleur-de-lis engraved in the back. Hope they get plenty of use from them.

Bobby
    Louisiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Those look very sunset worthy! I am curious about the moving mechanics in the base.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I like them a lot. One suggestion for future chairs,is I think they would look better with the left and right boards lowered to where the sharp
    inner corners were lowered (cut at bottom) to put their “sharp corner” down to where they hit tangent point of their left and right neighbors.
    Oops ! I forgot to SELL the benefit ! It makes the chairs more like the Thrones of Royalty !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-05-2022 at 6:00 PM.

The swivel mechanism looks like the basic lazy susan mechanism. I got them from Rockler and they seem to be well made and heavy duty.
    swivel.jpg

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! We have a porch swing made of Cypress. One of us likes to swing in 4 inch circles the other in 2 inch straight lines (a second porch swing is made of Oak)

Cypress is a wonderful wood. I worked for a family that immigrated from New Orleans. They brought in a lot of Cypress for their custom home. I ended up with a few scraps that I cherish. Here is the swing after 30 years. Cypress weathers well!

IMG_0735.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-07-2022 at 8:40 AM. Reason: image. cypress + 30 years
    Best Regards, Maurice

Cypress is a great outdoor wood to work with and will weather very nicely, unfortunately, the new growth stuff is not as durable as
    old growth Cypress. The best, if you can find it is sinker Cypress.

Bobby
    Louisiana