Thread: Finishing Wenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I am only adding the oil because it really improves the look of some wood; for example, walnut. Does danish oil leave any film? How about BLO?

I will have to take a look at a wipe on varnish, I have never used one.
    Danish oil doesn't have an actual meaning, but it is usually a mix of oil and varnish that leaves a soft film. Blo leaves less of a film if used lightly, so it would be better. Solvent based varnish should have the same effect as either of them, but leaves a hard film. You can then put shellac over that if you want, though it seems unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Danish oil doesn't have an actual meaning, but it is usually a mix of oil and varnish that leaves a soft film. Blo leaves less of a film if used lightly, so it would be better. Solvent based varnish should have the same effect as either of them, but leaves a hard film. You can then put shellac over that if you want, though it seems unnecessary.
    The David oil I have is Watco. I would need to check the can to see what it's says, can't do that first a week.

I would use De-waxed Garnet shellac. fast dry, easily repaired, food-safe, hard finish, colorfast (never yellows) pops the grain and enhances the color.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.