Thread: Coring system for Jet 1642

Coring system for Jet 1642

I am looking at a coring system for my Jet 1642. I am considering the Oneway and Woodcut. I don't often turn larger than 10-12 inch bowls. I understand that the Woodcut does not offer flexibility of shape. I am not clear how the Oneway would allow different shapes. With the Oneway, what would be the best size for my lathe? Would the 12 inch allow me to do anything 12 inches and under? Is this measurement the outside of the cored cut meaning I could leave one larger on the outside, maybe 14"? That sounds adequate for my lathe. What am I missing?

I've never used the Oneway, but it works basically the same as the Woodcut. You are limited to a hemisphere or a part of a hemisphere.
    That is to say you can make a fully hemisphere cut, or a shallow hemisphere cut

I do own (and use) the Woodcut Max 3 and the McNaughton. I don't own a Oneway because I think they are over priced compared to the WoodCut. I don't think the Max 3 would be a good choice for you, using a 16 inch lathe and the largest cutter wouldn't be useful for you.
    The standard WoodCut only has two cutters both of which you could use on a 16 inch lathe.

Even though you haven't asked.... The McNaughton will do things neither the WoodCut nor the Oneway will do. It can core shallow bowls out of shallow bowls. It can core out the inside of a vase open-form. It can "core" off platters from a cylinder of wood. I use this last option to make matching plates.
    BUT, the McNaughton has a really steep learning curve, i've known very experienced turners that have given up after bending a blade.
    The WoodCut is simple to use, with little effort or work, your first time.
    The McNaughton is not. Once you have mastered it, it's great. But getting from start to easy is not for a faint of hearr.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Hello, I have the ONEWAY with the Carbide cutters. It is extremely easy to use. This week i cored a 17 inch
    dry White Oak Burl. It went quite smooth. I made a video
    i agree with Ralph about the Mc Naughton more versatile.Yes there is a learning curve.
    i don’t know about the Woodcut but I have read good things about it.

D069D1FB-4A9E-4578-836A-76F7C5B32C28.jpg

All these coring sets have curved knives and you will have to make a curved cut for the knives to fit through, yes you can make wider cuts so as to change the trajectory, and of course you also can return the shape you want after you have the core turned out.

If you only occasionally use a corer, I would go for the Oneway, very easy to use, the Mcnaugten can be scary to use, especially if you are new, or and have hardly any experience with it, IMO
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-11-2018 at 1:43 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Before you believe that the McNaughton is more versatile look to see what Chris Ramsey does with the Oneway System.

ahahha loks nice

Both the Oneway and the Woodcut are on fixed pivoting centers. I think there are 5 blades for the Oneway and 3 for the Woodcut. If the Oneway has an advantage, the large blades are rock solid all the way out to the end of the cut. I did run into minimal vibration issues with the Woodcut when coring some Osage.If the Woodcut has an advantage, there is less set up with it. I haven't tried the large blade that they have though. I prefer the McNaughton. I can set it up and core the bowl in less time than it takes me to set up the Oneway. Like others have said, there is a learning curve...

robo hippy

I use both the Woodcut ( older version w/2 blades) and a McNaughton on my Jet 1642 with good success. You can leave as big of a blank on the outside as you want and get the smaller cores from the inside with either system.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    I use both the Woodcut ( older version w/2 blades) and a McNaughton on my Jet 1642 with good success. You can leave as big of a blank on the outside as you want and get the smaller cores from the inside with either system.
    Don,

Do you have the 110V 1.5HP or the 220V 2HP version of the 1642?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

110V 1.5 HP Don.

Bill, can you provide a link or reference to Chris's use of the Oneway Coring System?

Cheers,
    David

David Chris is a WoWie and has posted his corings there on WoW. You should have no trouble finding them.

I have the 110v 1.5 HP model. It's probably 15 years old now without lick of trouble. I'm not a full timer but I've worked it pretty hard.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Chris his workshop here shows some of his Bowl sets and his Mini hats, (Not Chris in the picture)

Chris Ramsey.jpg

Chris making his wooden hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJ1PqFR07I

Some more coring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNztzhX2gM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtGmqcYiMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDCAP22tUQ
    Have fun and take care