Thread: Avoiding the "hottest threads" panel

Avoiding the "hottest threads" panel

Hello, tech wizards. Most of the times I log in, I see the "hottest threads" panel on the right side of my screen. This is true whether I am on my computer or my phone/tablet. Which threads are hottest is not of interest to me. On my computer, it's not a big deal. I can still read the things on the rest of the screen. On my phone and tablet, however, that panel squeezes the rest of the page enough that things are hard to read. I can close the panel, but when I click on a thread and later come back to the main page, the hottest threads panel is back. My only option is to open threads in a new tab, which is easy to do on my computer and how I generally browse the web, but a bit of a pain on my iPhone and iPad.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to opt out of seeing "hottest threads?" Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    ... Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to opt out of seeing "hottest threads?" Thanks for your help.
    I only use my computer. For it there is a >> symbol on the right edge to remove (/ minimize) that column. (When removed there is a << symbol that will return it.) Maybe you have that?

I never go to the main page (or least never spend any time there), so I have never seen the hottest threads panel -- I just go directly to "what's new?" or "New Posts" and then maybe to "Forum". Not bothered by an sidebars or panels.....

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I only use my computer. For it there is a >> symbol on the right edge to remove (/ minimize) that column. (When removed there is a << symbol that will return it.) Maybe you have that?
    I do have that. It is what I meant when I said I could close it, but it comes back when I return to the main page. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    I never go to the main page (or least never spend any time there), so I have never seen the hottest threads panel -- I just go directly to "what's new?" or "New Posts" and then maybe to "Forum". Not bothered by an sidebars or panels.....
    More confusing language in my first post. I should have said "Forum" rather than main page. That's where I see the hottest threads panel.

Blog Entries
    If you look closely at the Hottest threads panel at the right hand side you should see a double arrow pointing toward the right side of your screen. If you click on that arrow the hottest panel should go away.
    hottest.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you look closely at the Hottest threads panel at the right hand side you should see a double arrow pointing toward the right side of your screen. If you click on that arrow the hottest panel should go away.
    hottest.JPG
    I can make it go away by doing that, but when I click on a thread and then return to the previous page to view other threads, the panel comes back. I’m looking for a way to avoid that.

Jon, it’s not a direct answer to your question but take a look at this thread, in particular post #6 where I describe how to make a tailored link to your personal interests. It’s what I use every day.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....look-at-others
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank you, Bruce. I will give that a try.

I have the hottest threads panel showing and it doesn't really matter to me . Just to see what is being talked about I clicked on the arrows to hide the thread and now , no matter what thread I click on and then return to the home page, the hottest threads panel stays hidden. All I see is the arrows to bring it back if I want to....