Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standing up a new bandsaw?

you need a Donk, Crocodile Dundee had one

Quote Originally Posted by warren lake View Post
    you need a donk, crocodile dundee had one
    donk.jpeg

:d

FWIW, I have my 17", 600+lb Grizzly on a ShopFox mobile base that has locking screws outboard of the wheels. I rarely move the saw but when I need to the mobile base works very well. In place, with the feet lowered, it's rock solid. I slice a lot of wide veneer so the machine needs to be stable - and it is.

If you need to lift the saw with a chain fall or winch, just put a large diameter pipe or 4 x 4 over several ceiling joists in your garage. The closer you are to a wall the stronger it will be. You could even add cripples between the floor and joists, if needed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I use my Little Giant ladder to lift most big tools in my shop along with a small chain hoist or a come-along. My bandsaw MM-16 shipped vertically. I lifted it off the pallet with the ladder and a small chain hoist. I assembled my PM-3520B with the ladder and a small chain hoist. I put the ladder in the A-frame configuration, a 4x4 across the top and attach the chain hoist and then use it to lift heavy things.
    I would use my chain hoist, but every-time I need to lift something, I have to build a gantry. My garage is supported by a 25' 12x6x2 glue-lam beam that is supported by a perpendicular 17' 20x4x2 glue-lam beam. Above that is an already heavy room and the idea of mounting a hoist to it to lift heavy stuff makes me a bit queasy.

A couple 10-12" CMU concrete bricks at the end on the floor. Raise it up a foot or so, put another concrete brick under it while the bottom ones hold it in place and keep it from moving. Repeat until it can easily tip to an upright position.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    FWIW, I have my 17", 600+lb Grizzly on a ShopFox mobile base that has locking screws outboard of the wheels. I rarely move the saw but when I need to the mobile base works very well. In place, with the feet lowered, it's rock solid. I slice a lot of wide veneer so the machine needs to be stable - and it is.
    I had my old bandsaw on a mobile base, and it was fine. I just wasn't sure if that would work as well with a 1000+lbs saw. Seems like it will probably be fine. Thanks.

Yes Derek thats him, you could also see if his brother Mongo is not busy.

When I brought home my 24" used Aggizzani, my grandson and I got it out of the truck OK, tilted it down onto a couple 4x4's, and used a pallet jack to get it to the shop. Then realized it would not fit under the door standing up.

My gardening crew showed up about then, and volunteered to help. The three of them tipped it and brought it into the shop where we set it back upright. Five minute job. Later I made a simple 4x4 at each end base, that allows me to use a narrow pallet jack to move it easily.

About 8 years earlier the same lawn crew lifted the top of my 3 HP dust gorilla in place.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I tilted a 20" ACM by myself. Was it easy? No. Did i feel like it was dangerous? No. Two men worth their salt should easily be able to tilt that saw upright. And because its almost 2022, two women worth their salt should easily be able to tilt that saw upright. Assuming its a 20" saw, you are talking about 600-700lbs. I would guess 2/3rd of that weight is from the table down to the base and motor. If its A 24", then i dont think that is a one man job, but is still a 2-3 person job.

If you go to tilt it manually, you want to brace the bottom against a wall with something. What you dont want to happen is the bottom scoots out on you as you use it as a fulcrum to tilt the saw.

I have been able to tilt up and down a couple of 18" bandsaws by myself, and roll them around on a hand truck while tilted, but they're not as heavy as what you probably have.

I have a mobile base for my 14" Laguna. It's not a big issue but I wouldn't buy another as I'd like it to be a bit more stable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I would use my chain hoist, but every-time I need to lift something, I have to build a gantry. My garage is supported by a 25' 12x6x2 glue-lam beam that is supported by a perpendicular 17' 20x4x2 glue-lam beam. Above that is an already heavy room and the idea of mounting a hoist to it to lift heavy stuff makes me a bit queasy.
    You should be able to lift a car from that kind of support. Put a cripple on each side of the machine and you instantly have a gantry.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    When I brought home my 24" used Aggizzani, my grandson and I got it out of the truck OK, tilted it down onto a couple 4x4's, and used a pallet jack to get it to the shop. Then realized it would not fit under the door standing up.

My gardening crew showed up about then, and volunteered to help. The three of them tipped it and brought it into the shop where we set it back upright. Five minute job. Later I made a simple 4x4 at each end base, that allows me to use a narrow pallet jack to move it easily.

About 8 years earlier the same lawn crew lifted the top of my 3 HP dust gorilla in place.
    I need to switch lawn crews.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I tilted a 20" ACM by myself. Was it easy? No. Did i feel like it was dangerous? No. Two men worth their salt should easily be able to tilt that saw upright. And because its almost 2022, two women worth their salt should easily be able to tilt that saw upright. Assuming its a 20" saw, you are talking about 600-700lbs. I would guess 2/3rd of that weight is from the table down to the base and motor. If its A 24", then i dont think that is a one man job, but is still a 2-3 person job.

If you go to tilt it manually, you want to brace the bottom against a wall with something. What you dont want to happen is the bottom scoots out on you as you use it as a fulcrum to tilt the saw.
    Its a 24" but the specs say 750lbs, and the table isn't on it. I'm going to see if I can get my herculean wife to help me out I'll remove all the siding, table and accessories, try to slide it to the edge, and then tip it up with some 4x4's under it. If I don't post again, you know it didn't go well

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Its a 24" but the specs say 750lbs, and the table isn't on it. I'm going to see if I can get my herculean wife to help me out I'll remove all the siding, table and accessories, try to slide it to the edge, and then tip it up with some 4x4's under it. If I don't post again, you know it didn't go well
    Ok, well I tried to lift it up, at least laying down, I guess I'm not one of those two "stout" men. I'm going to have to build that gantry.